Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1 Posts
Tech2 vs Tech2win – Read before buying a Tech2 clone - It is very difficult here to find a mechanic that can interface with every function (diagnostic, coding, programming) and most don’t know anything about the quirks and troubleshooting methods of these cars. Thats all good, all part of the fun of owning these cars out here they are very rare. That leaves me with three options:

MORE

·
Registered
29 Posts
Meh, I have a clone. It works perfectly... period. Came with extras... including cables to power remotely... as in - in case you are troubleshooting the ignition switch. I picked up a genuine CANdi cheap off ebay. I also have TIS2000 on a laptop that will never see the internet again. I have spare PCM's and BCM's... built my own bench rigs. Reprogrammed spares successfully... including with factory radios. Don't forget eSI :) I have an 03 TB LS, an 06 TB LT 5.3 SWB 4X4, and an 06 RCSB 2WD Turbo Silverado. Along with HP Tuners... I need nothing else. Screw the latest and greatest... original (even if cloned) works great. Yep, heard of the horror stories... I don't have any to tell. As long as I own this aging fleet I keep the tools that work well to troubleshoot... along with reprogramming ability from junkyard parts. No regrets :)...

I don't recommend buying XM radio or OnStar modules from a junkyard or ebay... from my understanding they are not reprogrammable. There are (chip removal) hacks for the XM... but you lose station selection memory. I have not reprogrammed keyless entry or driver door window modules. But, I have spares in case the need to play around. Highly recommend pull-a part junkyards... cheap and good learning leassons on how things come apart :)

FWIW, GMTNation has a Tech 2 section... lots of good info and links. I have posted info there including info on bench rigs...

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
TrailblazerSS
9,572 Posts
Good info you folks who updated this thread the last couple of months. This should help a bunch of people if they see it.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
629 Posts
I have a Tech2 clone. Never got it to work properly. Not sure if the clone is crap, or if it just can't handle a E67 TBSS OS with a T43 Escalade OS. Either way, It's basically useless for me.

I also have a real Bosch MDI2 and Mongoose Pro. The Mongoose is probably the easiest of all of them to use. It just works. I never had connectivity or other issues in Windows 10. The MDI2 is good, but can be a bit tricky to get it working sometimes.

Tim

·
Registered
06 trailblazer ss
289 Posts
I have a Tech2 clone. Never got it to work properly. Not sure if the clone is crap, or if it just can't handle a E67 TBSS OS with a T43 Escalade OS. Either way, It's basically useless for me.

I also have a real Bosch MDI2 and Mongoose Pro. The Mongoose is probably the easiest of all of them to use. It just works. I never had connectivity or other issues in Windows 10. The MDI2 is good, but can be a bit tricky to get it working sometimes.

Tim
Did you ever try your tech2 clone on any other vehicles. I would consider buying it if it worked.

·
Registered
2008 TB Pseudo-SS
222 Posts
I bought the VCX Nano (usb only) off eBay for Tech2 functionality, I wrestled with the software on (My HP Tuners Tablet) Windows 10 64 bit , the Tech2 software would NEVER see the interface, until I read a doc that it's 64 bit incompatible (grr). I then grabbed an old ASUS Laptop, threw a fresh load of Win7 32 bit on it, and everything loaded without issue. I honestly wonder how I ever lived without this thing. Fixed Stabilitrac issue on the TBSS (You can see SPS and all 4 wheel sensor data), Fixed misfire issues on another truck (maps count per cylinder) It's an eye-opening tool for $120. If you fix cars or If you wrench on your own 99-2014 GM Product, you need this thing.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts