Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
07 TBSS 2WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the fence about getting one, and I've read a lot online. Some people love em, some said their TECH2 scan tool broke after a month. Has any of you fine folks ACTUALLY used one? Or personally know somebody that bought one? Please don't post "a stranger on the Internet wrote that it'll set your car on fire"
I'm looking for "it did (or didn't) work on my TBSS. And have you used it as a 'pass-thru' when programming a new module installed on your TB? I'm familiar with the tool itself, i wasted two years wrenching for Saturn from 2008-2010.
These days I can't spend 4K for Atari technology that I'll only use on the wife's car. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
3,362 Posts
Specifically which model are you looking at?

The Tech II is really no longer in the dealer world. It has been replaced by actual windows computers and the Bosch MDI. I have spent a great deal of time deliberating on how to get some dealer level service tools at a price i can swallow.

There is the mongoose cable: Drew Technologies : Introduction

And there are knock off MDI units.

the real deal Bosch MDI is big big money: General Motors MDI | Bosch Diagnostics

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
You have to be careful with what you can/can not program without an online account. My friends with them can't do things like rewrite a BCM.

·
Registered
07 TBSS 2WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That mongoose cable is WAY cheaper than the VCIs the aftermarket shops have to buy!
I remember the MDI And having to log into the SPS website. The GDS was new to my dealership when I quit, at the time it was a wonky, buggy piece of crap. I want the tech2 as a 'stand-alone' scan tool. This is what I was looking at
Best Price GM Tech2 GM Diagnostic Scanner works for all GM cars

But I was just curious if I bought a temporary subscription to the website, if I could use the tech2 as a pass-thru in case My TB ever needs a BCM, etc.
quad star, have your friends bought the authentic tech2, or the knock-off?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
That mongoose cable is WAY cheaper than the VCIs the aftermarket shops have to buy!
I remember the MDI And having to log into the SPS website. The GDS was new to my dealership when I quit, at the time it was a wonky, buggy piece of crap. I want the tech2 as a 'stand-alone' scan tool. This is what I was looking at

But I was just curious if I bought a temporary subscription to the website, if I could use the tech2 as a pass-thru in case My TB ever needs a BCM, etc.
They have an authentic one. Maybe it's just because they don't have the subscription? I'm not 100% on that one. I thought that only worked with the USB connections but that's just my assumption so don't quote it.

Have you read this?
GM TECH 2 Diagnostic tool - A quick word before buying on Ebay | eBay

·
Registered
'06 TBSS
652 Posts

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
3,362 Posts
At this point I plan to get the mongoose come spring. I will report back with my thoughts.

In the meantime if anyone finds something that provides better value, please share.

·
Registered
07 TBSS 2WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had read that 'eBay warning' article. I'm sure there is SOME truth to what he's saying. I looked at his other articles, and got the impression he's a tool dealer. I realize a $4k scan tool is built with better quality controls. I'm wondering if a $400 tool is worth at least $400. I emailed a place thru DLgate, asking if the tech2 I'm looking to buy includes the storage case. If they respond to my inquiry in the next couple of days, I'll buy one. There's a fella on a Pontiac bonnevile forum who bought one and loved it. There's a guy on the GM long roof forum who bought one, had to take it apart to tighten the screws that hold the screen in place, and then it worked well for him. The link to the Saab forum has 247 pages to it! At the rate that I poop, it's gonna take me a 7 weeks to finish reading it. I'll keep you guys posted...

·
Registered
07 TBSS 2WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a response email from a company I found on DLgate after 4 days. Ok, great, go to place my order, and they don't accept PayPal ��. So I rolled the dice and ordered a tech2 with the case from autointhebox.com, which links to some company written in Chinese. $380 to my door. I'll let you guys know in 19-31 days how it works.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
241 Posts
I'd sure like to know what it's quality, performance and abilities are.

·
Registered
07 TBSS 2WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
To get the storage case, and ship that suitcase adds about a $100 to the transaction. That's a lot of cheddar just to keep items neat and organized. But it's been my experience that a lot of scan tool damage occurs when it's NOT being used. No matter how careful people are with their new tool, after a couple of months, other items get placed in that drawer, some idiot isn't paying attention,etc...then your dealing with scratched screens, damaged cabling & connectors, bent terminals. But that's just my opinion, not telling anybody else what they should do. I appreciate you folks responding to my inquiry. I'll be sure to report my findings

·
Registered
07 TBSS 2WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Came home yesterday, saw a very tattered box in the kitchen with my name on it! The customs paperwork made me laugh 'scan tool sample, valued at $20' and it indicated it had a lithium battery. So open the case, it's all there, including two tis2000 CDs with the exact same part#, freebie! It comes with a couple connectors. The obd1 & obd2 are the only ones I'll ever use. One of the other connectors had the metal clip that locks the connector to the cable was broken off. So it still works fine, but one would have to pay attention and not inadvertently unplug it. The connector face was square, I think it's for garbage trucks sold in kazakhstan. or SAABs. Not that there's much of a difference!whos with me?!?high-five MERICA!! So the 'GM English' card I asked for was already installed in the slot. But I try to eject it, and it comes halfway out and gets stuck! The 'cradle' that holds the cards doesn't line up well with the little spring loaded door. Shit! So with my sweaty palms, and manage to pull the card all the way out, and re-install the card while prying down on the door. Whew! Back in place...won't touch that anymore. The sticker-oops I mean decals are in a separate bag; which I applied to the unit. Poorly (Parkinson's? Why do you ask?..)
Plug it in with the supplied A/C adapter with the Chinese writing all over, and it powers right up! Scroll through everything, looks just like the Tech2s I've used over the years! Now I'm jazzed! Today, I plugged it into the OBD1 Buick, didn't use the Candi module. I click around, toggle all the output controls, works awesome! It'll probably be 2 weeks before I get an opportunity to try it out on the TBSS. The wife does graphic design, so there's no PC on any kind in the house. But I'll ask around, and I'm sure one of my family/friends has a old turd they can give me. Then I'll try out the TIS2000 CD, and see what it would take for me to program a new module (just in case...) I know that at some point, new 'programming' would be downloaded from the dealer desktop, onto the tech2, then the tech2 was carried over the the car (that has the new ECM, BCM, etc already installed) and uploaded to the car. But I'm not sure what years that was done. When I started at my first Saturn store in 2008, we were using MDI cause it was wayyy faster. I'll keep you folks posted. Peace and hairgrease

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
3 Posts
Thank you for your share

1 - 20 of 26 Posts