Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My 2012 sedan showed up Friday. As far as I can see, this thing is as nice if not nicer than they stated. Beautiful car. I love driving it.

Installed an Airaid intake. Love the supercharger whine!

I’m going to do headers next. Then tune by 747Garage. I’m looking seriously at the Texas Speed headers. Should I be concerned with their fit?

ctsvowners.com is so dead. And Karch and I are far from friends.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,538 Posts
If you install headers, keep the stock mufflers to keep the sound level reasonable. The stock mufflers don't have any restriction.

Reactions: timg and ICEMAN51

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you install headers, keep the stock mufflers to keep the sound level reasonable. The stock mufflers don't have any restriction.
100%.

I want a little more sound. But if a restriction is the headers I’ll go there and leave the mufflers alone. Even at that point I may need to add a resonator. The cars with headers and aftermarket mufflers seem too much for a daily. At least on video.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,538 Posts
There's a restriction in the mid pipe where there's a flat spot that many people replace. I've got test pipes instead of headers and the rest of exhaust is stock. With my other mods I run 10.9 in the 1/4. Here's the sound at idle, my TBSS is louder:
V Walkaround

Reactions: o2bob and MikeDeez

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,779 Posts
I’m looking seriously at the Texas Speed headers. Should I be concerned with their fit?

ctsvowners.com is so dead.
The Stainless works headers fit perfectly with the stock mufflers and sound great at all rpms.

Not as dead as tbssowners.com lol.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There's a restriction in the mid pipe where there's a flat spot that many people replace. I've got test pipes instead of headers and the rest of exhaust is stock. With my other mods I run 10.9 in the 1/4. Here's the sound at idle, my TBSS is louder:
V Walkaround
Thanks for verifying this. I’ve read your input for years and it seems you do very consistent work without adding every little mod that comes up!

I had a line on BNIB SW headers and my tuner said the same thing. Test pipes will do me fine without the need for headers.

Who’s test pipes are you using?

Did you have a custom x pipe made to connect the factory manifolds to stock mufflers?

I haven’t even looked under the car yet. There are secondary cats as well, right? Did you remove those too?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The Stainless works headers fit perfectly with the stock mufflers and sound great at all rpms.

Not as dead as tbssowners.com lol.
Yeah. My cheap ass won’t allow myself to get into a platform until it’s damn near played out! I did the same with the TBSS. Bought an ‘07 in 2013. Now this ‘12 in 2020. Just in time for the OG people to move on and a few years before it seems a lot of car hackers get them.

Such is life!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
[mention]db-guru [/mention]

Not sure why I hadn’t listened to you sound clip until just now.

I think that’s about perfect. Let me copy! Lol. So that’s Billy Boat test pipes, secondary cat removal, with no extra resonator?

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,538 Posts
I believe in the environment so I left the secondary cats. I have Kooks high flow cats on my TBSS. The reason to remove primary cats on the V is to prevent clogging. A modestly smaller upper pulley may be OK, but who stops at that. Something like a 2.45 or 2.55 upper pulley can cause your primary cats to melt and clog. Headers by themselves only add about 30 hp and I believe test pipes will add somewhat less. I have Billy Boat test pipes with the rest of the exhaust stock. Also (many of the parts are in the BTR deluxe cam install kit):
CTS-V Parts List – Installed
  • Track Attack HX
  • Griptech 2.45 upper
  • NGK TR7IX plugs
  • Airaid intake
  • Catch Can (behind airaid)
  • Billy Boat test pipes
  • ZL1 lid w/ reinforced brick
  • Lt1z stage 2 cam
  • BTR .660” lift springs, titanium retainers, seals
  • BTR pushrods 7.400” long
  • ARP cam bolts for 3 bolt LS cams
  • Chevy Performance 3 bolt 58x cam gear
  • Chevy Performance timing chain dampener
  • C5-R timing chain
  • LS9 Head gaskets (2)
  • Trunnion upgrade kit
  • Front timing cover gasket
  • Timing cover damper seal
  • Water pump gasket x 2
  • Chevy Performance crankshaft dampener bolt
  • ARP LS6 head bolt kit
  • ATI Dampener - 918854
  • ATI lower pulley ring – 916106 8.86”
  • Ported stock heads
  • Ported oil pump – includes oil ring
  • Racing pickup tube braces EGM-500
  • ------- Next items installed after video was made, FIC 850 injectors were more than enough without E-85 ------
  • DSX aux fuel pump
  • DSX flex fuel sensor
  • FIC 1200 injectors
  • Underhood tank
  • Pierburg CWA-100 EMP pump
To be installed
  • AEM Wideband with window vent gauge mount

Reactions: ICEMAN51

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,779 Posts
Good info there ^^^^

If either of you are interested in an Alky meth trunk set up, I have a complete one that I would let go of.

I replaced it with a Nitrous Express setup to aid in getting out of the hole / cooling the TT I'm running and a lil scramble action on the big end.

Reactions: ICEMAN51

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank y’all so much for the info.

I think right now what I plan on doing is:

Test tubes. Leave the 2nd cats.
Airaid CAI
Whichever plugs tuner recommends.
ID850/1000 or Bosch 1200 injectors
2.55...maybe 2.45 upper pulley
Reinforced brick

Eventually flex fuel.

And, being in Texas, by mid spring/early summer I’ll do a larger exchanger. I need to do more research on the IC system. Don’t know if I can keep stock HX and just add an under hood tank and larger -12an lines to increase volume and flow.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,779 Posts
I suggest that you consider ID1300* injectors - E85 requires more fuel to make good power. That way you only have buy one set of injectors.

The Weapon X track attack heat exchanger is a nice piece in the $600ish range.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I suggest that you consider ID1300* injectors - E85 requires more fuel to make good power. That way you only have buy one set of injectors.

The Weapon X track attack heat exchanger is a nice piece in the $600ish range.
Track Attack is being shipped out today. You’re likely right about the 1300’s but I’m going to try 1000’s.

[mention]theheder [/mention] [mention]db-guru [/mention]

Now, what’s y’all’s opinion?

Used ID 1000 injectors for $600-650 locally

Or

New FIC 1000cc injectors for $650 from Mont Motorsports.

I need them to do well with idle and low throttle input (city driving)

My understanding is not all injectors are created equally.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,538 Posts
Talk to your tuner. I started with FIC 850s as part of my initial mods that I spec'd out with my lt1z cam. He said he uses FIC for up to 850s and then switches to ID. I upgraded to FIC 1200s (from Mont) and have no issues. Personally I prefer to buy new. The only used part I've bought is the Keystone hood for my TBSS.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,779 Posts
Track Attack is being shipped out today. You’re likely right about the 1300’s but I’m going to try 1000’s.

[mention]theheder [/mention] [mention]db-guru [/mention]

Now, what’s y’all’s opinion?

Used ID 1000 injectors for $600-650 locally

Or

New FIC 1000cc injectors for $650 from Mont Motorsports.

I need them to do well with idle and low throttle input (city driving)

My understanding is not all injectors are created equally.
I would go new on injectors. I would also consider buying these SW headers if I were looking.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,779 Posts
Ooops

21 - 37 of 37 Posts