Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 2006
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I live in the middle of BFE and most of the shops around here look at my SS and ask me why I put a 5.3 in my trailblazer, or they ask me how hard it was to fill-in the holes from my roof rack. Anyways, I'm looking for a shop to do some engine mods (cam, headers, head work, stall, exhaust, a tune to support the mods ect). I'm willing to drive quite a ways to get someone good and trustworthy. I kinda want someone who knows the LS2 motor front to back along with all of the quirks that they have. I figure you guys on here would know where to go in Michigan, N. Indiana, or N. Illinois. I don't plan on doing anything till late fall or even this winter. Thanks a ton.

·
ADHD
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
3,923 Posts
Hey guys, I live in the middle of BFE and most of the shops around here look at my SS and ask me why I put a 5.3 in my trailblazer, or they ask me how hard it was to fill-in the holes from my roof rack. Anyways, I'm looking for a shop to do some engine mods (cam, headers, head work, stall, exhaust, a tune to support the mods ect). I'm willing to drive quite a ways to get someone good and trustworthy. I kinda want someone who knows the LS2 motor front to back along with all of the quirks that they have. I figure you guys on here would know where to go in Michigan, N. Indiana, or N. Illinois. I don't plan on doing anything till late fall or even this winter. Thanks a ton.
Probably a 5 hour trip - Transfer Performance Machine - they build drag engines and are currently working on my heads for me - I am adding a supercharger and doing that work myself, but they are doing valves, porting, etc....VERY knowledgeable guy - familiar with LS2 engines and has offered me quite a bit of great info...they are Comp cam dealers among other things...

Call Ted - (724) 962-2520 - tell him he is working on a set of Erik's heads for his TBSS LS2... He is a good dude.

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
I think one of the popular guys on the site is Brandon at Fast Motorsports. I believe he's in IL. His username is Fast Motorsports

Everyone seems to say he does great work. I personally don't have any experience with him though

·
Premium Member
06 AWD TBSS
3,012 Posts
I would check out Motor City Speed since they are local and have an AWD dyno. They built a local guys TBSS on here and it runs hard. Heads, cam, intake and bolt ons it put down 420 awhp. We took it for a quick run and its pretty effin fast! Theres lots of places like vector, victory racing and livernois but motor city speed would be my choice locally, I've heard only good things about them.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS Red
316 Posts
There is a place in sterling Heights, MI called Jakes Automotive. They can do any and all high performance work and They have a very good tuner that does all there GM cars. His name is Phil and he is a LSX guru and tunes all over MI and has a very good reputation. He did alot of peoples cars from MiFobdy and many more. Just an option thats more local

·
Premium Member
06 AWD TBSS
3,012 Posts
There is a place in sterling Heights, MI called Jakes Automotive. They can do any and all high performance work and They have a very good tuner that does all there GM cars. His name is Phil and he is a LSX guru and tunes all over MI and has a very good reputation. He did alot of peoples cars from MiFobdy and many more. Just an option thats more local
Yeah I've heard good things about jakes automotive on mifbody too.

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS Red
316 Posts
Yeah 2 of my best friends work there. Bill and Jason, Jason is one of them who does alot of the high perf stuff. They are both perfectionest when it comes to their work and will always do a top notch job. As far as tuning Dr. Phil as we call him, is the man for sure. He tuned a 11 sec heads and cam TBSS there not to long ago, he knows his shit.

·
Premium Member
06 AWD TBSS
3,012 Posts
Oh yeah, I've heard all about Dr Phil. He is supposed to be the man at tuning, almost had him tune my fbody. That guy is a tuning god they say on the fbody forums!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 2006
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fellas. I'm give a couple of these guys a call. Hopefully by Nationals next year I'll be a lot faster than I am now.
I don't have an unlimited budget but what would you all suggest for mods. I want to do a motor build without being force fed.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Brandon @ Fast Motorsports, N Chicago, worth the drive. He did my tranny shift kit, converter and my first tune. Whacked 1.4 seconds off my 2006 AWD.

Give him a call at (847) 815-8791.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
5,558 Posts
We could definitely help you out with something along the lines of cam, headers, head work, stall, exhaust, a tune to support the mods etc. If you would like to shoot me a PM or an email ([email protected]) with details on what your goals with the build and the truck as a whole are Brandon or myself can get back to you with a quote and help you out further.

Brandon @ Fast Motorsports, N Chicago, worth the drive. He did my tranny shift kit, converter and my first tune. Whacked 1.4 seconds off my 2006 AWD.

Give him a call at (847) 815-8791.
Happy to hear the tuck is running well Walter.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
3 Posts
Another Spun Bearing

Long time reader, first time poster! I find myself in the same situation as others. I spun #6 at 55k miles and GM covered the work under warranty. Now at 105k miles I find myself in the same situation all over again I think. I hear the infamous knock around 3k RPM's.....so I think I am faced with a rebuild. I am original owner, motor is stock, no tune or anything. I am looking to figure out my options. Would like to find a good shop to perform the work. I would also like to get a little more power at the same time. Vehicle is my daily driver, hauling my kids around to practices and activities. Would appreciate any recommendations and what someone should expect to spend for this. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
3 Posts
Another Spun Bearing

Long time reader, first time poster! I find myself in the same situation as others. I spun #6 at 55k miles and GM covered the work under warranty. Now at 105k miles I find myself in the same situation all over again I think. I hear the infamous knock around 3k RPM's.....so I think I am faced with a rebuild. I am original owner, motor is stock, no tune or anything. I am looking to figure out my options. Would like to find a good shop to perform the work. I would also like to get a little more power at the same time. Vehicle is my daily driver, hauling my kids around to practices and activities. Would appreciate any recommendations and what someone should expect to spend for this. Thanks in advance!

·
Maxspeed FAST Maxima
Your Mom
2,825 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
As Meltdown mentioned the good places tend to get pricey, but looking at ongoing motor changes burns money quickly. Another great facility in Clinton Twp., is Katech (katechengines.com). They have built serious race engines for many years now, with great success in IMSA, IROC, and TransAm. They do street performance stuff also.

I recently has some experience with Baker Engineering (bakerengineeringinc.com) in Nunica, MI, close to Muskegon. Wow, what a facility they have, with 4 or 5 engine dyno cells along with a chassis dyno. TJ is their tuner, and he did a nice job sorting out some drivibility issues I had, after my last cam change. They walked me around the R&D area where they were developing a rotory engine for military drones. They also build a lot of serious big block engines for the high end off-shore boat racers. A first class operation that can handle anything you throw at them!

Best of Luck, getting up and running.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.