Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a AWD transfer case from a tb ss be used on a non ss TB. I do have a 06 SS and a 08 LT. I have the chance to buy a 08 TB SS drive train at a great price. tranny, transfer case, front diff and rear axle. Very low miles 22,000. My 08 has a new I6 engine from GM but the rest of the drive train has 90,000 miles on it. I thought the SS drive train swap would be a good idea.

Any problems with this?

TKS

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,293 Posts
Would be a big pain. Transmission output is different, transfer case is completely different, you would be looking at a headache trying to do that swap to a 4x4. I think the front end is completely different as well (actuated 4x4 etc).

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,354 Posts
If you're swapping the whole drivetrain, you've got to make sure you get the full harness, ECM, and TCM with it. Otherwise you're going to have the ECM logic freaking out looking for the 4WD modules/sensors. Additionally your traction control settings will be off and far more sensitive if you do not change over the suspension. I6 TB's ride higher and have a lot more body roll. Plus of course the obligatory wheel/tire size adjustments for ABS, shifting, and speedo...unless you're switching over TBSS wheels/tires. And yes, you'll have to do the crank/bcm relearn and VIN swap. Otherwise it's cake bc they're both '08's

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The truck currently has TB SS wheels and suspension. The rear has ground force lowering springs so basicly the truck has the stance of a TB SS. I have but not installed TB SS front brakes.

So if do this I need to make sure I get the wiring harness for the body.

Will the front diff fit the I6?

TKS

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
If you have the full engine wiring harness then you should be ok, the ECM/TCMs are identical so you just need to have someone with a Tech II (read a dealer, HPTuners/EFILive wont work) flash a factory 08 TBSS OS into them (or if you can buy the ones with the harness).

2WD/4WD doesnt matter, you can stick the LS2+4L70E+transfer case+rear end+driveshaft into your 08. Be warned the V8 frames are different from the I6 ones, you'll have to fab up motor mounts and maybe do some exhaust/header adjustment as I dont know how far back the differences go.

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,354 Posts
If you have the full engine wiring harness then you should be ok, the ECM/TCMs are identical so you just need to have someone with a Tech II (read a dealer, HPTuners/EFILive wont work) flash a factory 08 TBSS OS into them (or if you can buy the ones with the harness).

2WD/4WD doesnt matter, you can stick the LS2+4L70E+transfer case+rear end+driveshaft into your 08. Be warned the V8 frames are different from the I6 ones, you'll have to fab up motor mounts and maybe do some exhaust/header adjustment as I dont know how far back the differences go.
OH yeah...I forgot that they went E67 with the I6 and that V8 frames are different.:cheers1:

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
OH yeah...I forgot that they went E67 with the I6 and that V8 frames are different.:cheers1:
Yep, but the good news is the I6, 5.3, and 6.0 all share the same OS number for 08 (maybe 07 and 09 too)! So that means since theres a Custom OS for the 08 SS, you can run it on an I6 or 5.3 too! :biggrin2:

The frame issue would be the something to deal with though.

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
the frame is the same. I'm pretty sure. If I remember right there are different bolt holes to mount the lines and stuff. About two years ago at work we put a 03 frame in place of an 05 v8 frame. just some dumb little things were diff.

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
the frame is the same. I'm pretty sure. If I remember right there are different bolt holes to mount the lines and stuff. About two years ago at work we put a 03 frame in place of an 05 v8 frame. just some dumb little things were diff.
No they're not, you just said it yourself. Bolt holes and little things ARE different. Hence they're different part numbers and different frames. The guts might be the same, but technically they're (slightly) different.

That said, if its only a few minor bolt holes and things then it shouldnt be that hard to swap over. Personally Ive seen a difference between my 02 frame and my 08 SS frame from the underside, but I just went "oh thats a little different" and finished my oil change. Couldnt tell you what they are exactly.

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
No shit there not the exact same. Thats like saying the rear doors off of an 03 trailblazer wont fit an 06 trailblazer because they have diff part numbers.

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
No shit there not the exact same. Thats like saying the rear doors off of an 03 trailblazer wont fit an 06 trailblazer because they have diff part numbers.
But the doors will have the same holes and stuff.

You're saying that because the frames have DIFFERENT holes and need modding to make them work they are the SAME. Doesnt cut it for me. The doors are easy, rip the interior off and slap the other interior on, paint if needed. No physical modding of the door like a frame needs.

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
I would love to see you change the door then. there is a big difference in them. The frame works easily. If you want to spend more money than you have to cause your a lazy ass that don't want to put the extra effort in it, then go for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.