1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Suckin' Gas & Haulin' Ass
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok ladies and gentlemen,

My annual scenic road trip has arrived.

I am driving from VB to The Tail of the Dragon.

If you would like to join me in this adventure, please feel free. I will be there on November 20th and 21st. I might try to get there the night of the 19th but money is tight and so is my vacation.
:)

OK, just a brief explanation of the Tail of the Dragon.

To those coming from the North Carolina side, the Dragon begins at Fugitive Bridge with a view of the Cheoah Dam where Harrison Ford jumped in the movie
The Fugitive. It ends 14 miles across the mountain at the Tabcat Creek Bridge in Tennessee. From Fugitive Dam US129 climbs through The Slide, a steep series of "S" curves where one would not want to meet one of the tractor-trailers that comes this way at times. The road then levels and straightens until a series of curves approaching the Crossroads of Time, one of the main hangouts for visitors. Next comes Deals Gap and the Tennessee State Line. For the next eleven miles most people just remember curve after curve after curve and surviving the run of their lives.

A few members have been here and it's pretty amazing to hear their stories and of course to see pictures. I plan on driving this as much as possible while I am there.

I am taking the following route so if anyone wants to meet up with me, let me know and we can arrange it!
:)

This will also allow me to add another state (TN) to the list of states I have been able to drive my SS.
:biggrin2: It's about a 9 hour drive from VB to the Tail.

I have the event on my Facebook calendar as well so I can keep a better track of the event. Look forward to having a good time!
:) Also if anyone has 2-way radio's bring them. I might end up buying a set as well. This way we can communicate in the event no cell reception. The FRS/GMRS kind is what appears to be best.

List of people attending:

Brandi (StormChaser7905)
William (WilliamJrdn
Jennifer (
JRDNGRLSS)
Josh (Razz2o4)
Seville (Sassy-SS)
Michael (Edub)
Tony M. (scjzman)
Mrs. D. (scjzman's wife)
Greg (TTOF)

Maybe's:
Joe - SmokinJoe
Patrick
Randy
Clayton

Not attending:
Sean
Keith V
Mike P

·
Mommy's ride isn't a VAN!
Black Trailblazer SS
584 Posts
:coolthumb: Can't wait!!! Hope we can get lots more to attend!

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
Have fun be safe for it is a nasty stretch of asphalt. I also enjoyed the Cherohala (sp?) skyway.

Ma'am have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree? Exactly it will come down.

·
Registered
07' TrailblazerSS
1,078 Posts
cant wait!!!! we had soooo much fun on our trip last year. Hopefully more people will decide to join in with us. We will be heading more than likely through sc to get there by mapquest so if anyone from in that area wanted to meet us on/around our route just let us know :D

·
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOOT

I have updated people attending vs maybe vs NOT. I also put in a request to add our event to the calendar on Tail of the Dragon.com. I'll let you know if this is added or not.

We may end up dealing with rain and/or snow. Keep this in mind when saying you can make it. We don't want anyone who can't handle a powerful SUV in the snow! :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Can't wait Brandi!

·
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Lodging Accommodations

Here is the lodging location/pricing

http://mountainivy.com/

Lakeview…
Enjoy your time in the mountains of North Carolina by staying in this large spacious 3 level, 3 bedroom home with 3.5 bathrooms. Sleeps 8 – 10 comfortably.2 Kings, Queen, 2 twins and a full hide-a-bed also 2 oversized couches.

You are provided with all the amenities of home. Wood fireplace, cable TV, High Speed Internet, washer/dryer, full kitchen with dishwasher, microwave, icemaker, coffee maker, LINENS and so much more.

Enjoy grilling out or just relaxing on the large deck overlooking incredible views of Lake Santeetlah.

Extras:
Single car garage
Smoke Free
Pontoon boat daily rental available
Lake access

Located just 3 miles from Robbinsville, 12 miles to the Dragon (at Deals Gap).

• $950 weekly/$175 nightly (2 night min.)
  • $75 cleaning fee
  • 10.75% state and local taxes
  • $150.00 advanced deposit
  • Major credit cards accepted
  • Check-in 2:00 pm, Check-out 11:00 am
175*2 = 350 + 75 = 425.00 x 11% (to make it even) = 471.75
seville
josh
brandi
william
jennifer
tony
mrs d
michael
greg

9 people are definitely going. therefore we at the following for cost per person FOR THE WHOLE WEEKEND ON LODGING.

471.75/9 = 52.42

So, couples owe $104.84
singles owe $52.42

We have 2 others that are still on the "maybe" and of course, if they come it will be lower!!!

We do not have to pay anything until we get there. He asked for cash and so it would be good if we can get there around the same time. If not we may want to see about having yall paypal some of us who will be there first so we can give the guy the $$

This place, as you can see, has full amenities. I am bringing some alcohol, juice and stuff. I will also bring my Adam's cleaning supplies as well.

Bring various kinds of clothing - layers is best for cooler temperatures. I am bringing rain gear as well ...mountain weather is ALWAYS unpredictable. I am bringing the camera and tri-pod but on the tail there isn't room for stopping or so I've heard. If we can't get pics, KillBoy is taking care of us.

We have also been updated on the TOTD webpage as attendance. CLICK HERE and look for November! WOO HOO

** The driveway allegedly has room for only four SUV's. Obviously we have more than that coming. There is a one car garage on site. The vette's have dibs on the driveway. Will/Jenn's SS has dibs on driveway as well (they are lowered). And then I come in as 2nd dibs if there is room. LOL

*** I also have dibs on a bed....Couples have bedrooms.

·
torn down ss
07 TBSS
1,739 Posts

·
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
put me as a maybe but snow is nothing to me this is how we roll back home -- just some of what we do back home in the winter when im not plowing or drinking lol
Gotchya down for a maybe on here.
Can you do that for your FB invite too? I'm a lil OCD about them both being accurate! LOL

You can definitely handle the snow - that's good. :)
When will you know?

I think we are going to try and book the place sometime by the next week or so.

·
torn down ss
07 TBSS
1,739 Posts
Gotchya down for a maybe on here.
Can you do that for your FB invite too? I'm a lil OCD about them both being accurate! LOL

You can definitely handle the snow - that's good. :)
When will you know?

I think we are going to try and book the place sometime by the next week or so.
hmm next week damn i guess im gonna pass but ill go next year cause i cant really miss school as i have 2 and a half months left and im probably moving to Pittsburgh after school for work

·
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm next week damn i guess im gonna pass but ill go next year cause i cant really miss school as i have 2 and a half months left and im probably moving to Pittsburgh after school for work
Understandable....the trip is like 3 weeks away so we want to book it before the cabin is no longer available. I mean you can decide to come later and just pay us or something if we've already booked it.

Let me know. :)

·
Black Trailblazer SS
584 Posts
Brandi, I like/vote the second one and I am sure Josh would too.
What would be the upcharge for "princess" Makenzie?!?!?!
Can't wait to have an awesome trip for a mini welcome come party with my TBSS family!!! :~}

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
4,218 Posts
For those of you that havent done this, it is the best drive of your life. It can be tough to break the posted speed limits on this road. Ive been 200+ in a c6 vette, and Ive done the dragon in a c6 vette. The dragon was a million times more fun, and it seems like the fun never ends! Sure drag racing is fun, top speed runs are fun, but this puts all of those other methods of fun to shame! Im trying to get up there for this because its such a blast! Its such beatuiful scenery also! And there is always someone taking pics on the side of the road to upload them to the internet where you can buy your pics later (at a very reasonable price!) check out killboy.com I urge you to do this! But one thing I must make absolutely clear, MAKE SURE YOU STAY IN YOUR LANE AND DO NOT CROSS LINES!!! Several cyclist die every year at the dragon, be it from stupidity or an accident. Just keep your head on a swivel and drive with care and you will have the best time of your life! There is even a lake at the TN side at the bottom you can hang out at.

·
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good advice Mike. I definitely don't plan on being an ass on the road. I have been on similar roads that weren't paved and it's pretty amazing but yet you go at a snails pace on some curves!!!!

I have so much excitement for this trip but I am reading a LOT on the site about the things to do and not do.

And are you coming Mike? You should fly up and ride down with one of us!

·
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK ladies and gentlemen,

We really need to book the place asap. So I'd like to have all the $ due by the end of this week if at all possible.

I think if we can paypal one person all of the money and have that person book the room that would be best.

Since I am a single person I'd rather not put it on my shoulders LOL - But I am more than happy to paypal someone the money. We should do it as a gift so no fees are attached to the recipient.

·
Black Trailblazer SS
584 Posts
Agree with Brandi about getting this set up.
Brandi. Have u looked into the lakeview vacation cabin along with the fox hill cabin? Kind of hard to pick one.
Lol. Also Josh has his plane ticket to come home so that is good. Are u sure everyone is ok with us bringing the princess Makenzie? LOL

1 - 20 of 135 Posts