Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a tactical shotgun? Interested in picking up a Remington 870 Express and adding a collapsible stock/grip and wondering if you guys have any feedback.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Do a search on Saiga shotguns and check those out.

I used to carry a Remington 870 in the army and loved it

·
Yes... I know I'm short
'07 TBSS 2WD
7,015 Posts
Mossberg 500 Persuader here for home defense... added a collapsible stock... shoots real nice...

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS AWD
3,858 Posts
Mossberg 590

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
While in the Marine Corps for 20 years (retired), I was issued both the Remington and Mossberg Shotguns. It really boils down to personal perference in which you choose. I really like the Mossberg better but I replace the plastic parts I dont like with metal one (Trigger and Safety). The biggest downfall of the Mossberg and why it gets such a bad rap is that they are not as easy to break down for cleaning.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
5,208 Posts
I have said it 800000000 times, and I will say it again. I am not a fan of Mossbergs. I hate the top tang safety, and there is way too much fucking around to take them completely apart. I really feel as if the Remington is a better gun. It all comes down to personal preference in the end though. I guess I don't understand where something like "it shoots real nice" can come from. Its a utility shotgun for Christ's sake. We're not talking $X,000 double barrel trap/bird gun here. Its all about what fits YOU, the end user. Go to a gun store and actually hold both of them, figure out which one shoulders better for you, which safety you like better, etc. Both the 870 Express and the Mossy 500 series are comparable in price, so thats not really a factor.

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
Had a Mossberg, and I've had 870's. The newer base line 870's are not the same quality as they once were, just an FYI. I bought one about 1 year ago and it won't eat shells that use steel. No biggie, but still a PITA when your shotty jams up and it's extra stress on the extractor. Had a 870 youth 20ga when I was 10 or so, better gun all around. Moss 500 was bought because Academy screwed up ($150) and it always worked well, just not a good solid feel like the old Remington's. I'd look around a bit more if your serious about it, but my Moss 500 was a fun thing to make tacticool, then I got bored with it and sold it. Whatever you decide on, it's been proven that pistol grip only shotguns are not as good (fast) as one with a stock in a combat environment, so stick with the stock+pistol, whatever type it may be. Flame on those who say otherwise :D

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
5,208 Posts
The Expresses are not the same as they used to be, but are still damn good guns. My 12 an 20ga Expreses have been through HELL and back(dumped in lakes/frozen, etc) and still never missed a beat. I will say though, the Wingmaster that I own feels way more solid than any Express I have shot. Its price tag reflects that though, and you cant buy a Wingmaster with a Matte finish anymore.

As for stocks, I agree completely. Every shotgun I have modded generally retains a stock type stock. I am not a fan of pistol grip/full stocks, pistol grips by themselves, or pistol gripped expendables or collapseables.

·
Yes... I know I'm short
'07 TBSS 2WD
7,015 Posts
Todd - It comes from when I shoot mine, its comfortable for me, is accurate, and has not had any malfunctions... that is where "it shoots nice" comes from. I was issued a Remington 870 for work so I didn't want two of the same gun, so I went with the Mossberg. The only thing I don't like about the Mossberg is the safety, and as far as not being as easy to take apart, I will never fully take it apart and clean it as it is a utility gun and mostly just chills in the closet...

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
5,208 Posts
Makes sense....I wasnt trying to be a dick or anything, so please dont take it that way, and if you did, I apologize. :cheers1:

But, you did further prove my point that it comes down to personal preference as Joe and I said. The OP should go and handle both before purchasing.

As for cleaning, I am just really anal about my guns I guess....if they are taken out of the safe for any reason, they are wiped down before they go back. If they are taken out of the house/fired, they are pulled apart and cleaned.

·
Yes... I know I'm short
'07 TBSS 2WD
7,015 Posts
I wasn't trying to disprove that point, any weapon is absolutely personal preference... and I'm with you on keeping the guns clean, but I've got so little into the Mossberg that I'm not really concerned with more than a basic cleaning. I still don't understand that stupid ass safety on top, LOL

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
If you get the mossberg, you can get an aftermarket safety button that's metal... Todd, wish I had a Wingmaster, but if I get another shotgun, it will be an 1100 12ga. Love them and know the Benelli shoots faster, but I'd much rather get a 1100... OP, will this be your main home defense weapon or just toy?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts