Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 TBSS
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...have a question

i have a stock pcmofnc transcooler on the truck now, stock cooler bypassed setup. i stopped at autozone earlier to pickup a fog light and noticed a small puddle under the front of my truck it was trans fluid...babied her home and pulled it apart to see that i'm leaking from the NPT fittings i believe they were 1/2"....looking to swap to a tru-cool 40k and just want to verify that before i swap the actual cooler units i should fill the the tru-cool with fluid first to prevent air entering into the system...thx for any help!

·
Registered
08 TBSS
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any help here guys?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,505 Posts
I never had to fill a trans cooler before but I'm sure it will not hurt to do so.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
You wont need to fill the cooler. It flows back to the pan so you wont have to worry about running it dry.

·
Registered
08 TBSS
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It won't introduce air into the system by doing this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
If you ever saw how fast and how much flows out, that cooler will be full and all lines to the trans in like 2 seconds. There is a ton of air in the upper part of the trans (more than fluid) plus theres a vent at top. So any air bubbles just rise to the top. The pressure regulator while filling wont let presure drop. The pump is huge, plus your not driving it. Ive seen junkyard derby cars when they get a leek squirting 12ft still drive em til the pump dry / wont move. So no worries idling in the driveway bud! :)

Reactions: 2004RST

·
Registered
08 TBSS
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ty walter...that's the info i was looking for...appreciate the help guys

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
2 Posts
Keeping the transmission fluid cool is a great insurance policy for long transmission life.
Depending on where you live (north or south) it is almost impossible to have too big of a cooler.

Also remember that the cooler lines also go the the radiator. In the south (where it seldom get below freezing) you can bypass the radiator and use only an external cooler.
The logic...the radiator is always in the range of 180-190 F, so the the fluid returning to the transmission will never be below that temp. This buys you two benefits...the radiator has less to cool, and the transmission fluid going back to the transmission will be cooler than it would be going thru the radiator.

See the chart attached

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts