Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question about Swapping to a built 4l60e

I found an awesome built 4l60e with a couple hundred miles for a price u can't beat with a stick, considering how much it cost to build. The 60e doesn't have the speed sensor like the 70e so my question is will the tranny operate fine without it? Will I have any shifting problems? I'm thinkin it will just throw a code b/c the tcm is gonna wanna read somethin that isn't there.

·
Banned
18,856 Posts
Well , from my talks with Greg at Pheonix last week. We were discussing putting my 4l70 in my sonoma where I should be putting a 4l60, the harness inside the trans needs to be changed at a minimum, but I am pretty sure you need the speed sensor for the tcm to recognize when to shift. I could be way off base on the actual need for the sensor, but the harness is something that I know Greg said was different between them but can be swapped to work.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
738 Posts

Wow you have about the same luck as me. I have owned my SS for nearly 3 yrs at it litterally has been broke down more than not. They run great....when they run. Im seriously considering just getting rid of the headache altogether. Hate to say it but thinking about getting a Jeep SRT8, I know it might not be as fast as my SS but bet I wont be popping motors and trans every other day

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well , from my talks with Greg at Pheonix last week. We were discussing putting my 4l70 in my sonoma where I should be putting a 4l60, the harness inside the trans needs to be changed at a minimum, but I am pretty sure you need the speed sensor for the tcm to recognize when to shift. I could be way off base on the actual need for the sensor, but the harness is something that I know Greg said was different between them but can be swapped to work.
I've talked to a few people that r familiar with trans and no one could give me a definite answer. I think u could be right about the shifting part cuz the speed sensor tells rpms and converter slippage if I remember correctly. U need mph to shift too so would it shift just with mph r does it need the rpms too?
What if I took the data/table from a 60e and put it in my tcm? Could that work?
Yea it's easier to install a 70e in a 60e's spot than vise versa.
I knew the harness was different but thought it would still work but I can swap out the harness. Thanks for ur input bro.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow you have about the same luck as me. I have owned my SS for nearly 3 yrs at it litterally has been broke down more than not. They run great....when they run. Im seriously considering just getting rid of the headache altogether. Hate to say it but thinking about getting a Jeep SRT8, I know it might not be as fast as my SS but bet I wont be popping motors and trans every other day
Yea I don't have too good of luck but I'm used to it now. Lol
My truck has been a pain in the ass but I still love it like the same day I bought it. Understood bro. Not gonna lie, I'd like to have me an SRT8 too but too pricey for my blood plus I got a tattoo of SS and a bowtie on my arm so I gotta stick with my SS. Lol
Goodluck buddy on whatever u chose.
Oh and 13.0's stock for Jeeps isn't slow.

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
2,987 Posts
I think you could probably use the TCM out of a 5.3 TB of the same year. The 5.3 TB has the 4L60 so the TCM OS wont be looking for the iss.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give that a try Brandon. Oh and aren't u the one doin the t-56?

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
What year is your tbss?

If you have an 06 with E40 ECM you could run a GTO OS so that your TCM isnt looking for an ISS signal.

For the 07+ E67 a 5.3 TB would be the best bet.

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
2,987 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What year is your tbss?

If you have an 06 with E40 ECM you could run a GTO OS so that your TCM isnt looking for an ISS signal.

For the 07+ E67 a 5.3 TB would be the best bet.
08. I'm gonna try to get my hands on a tcm from a 5.3.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
08. I'm gonna try to get my hands on a tcm from a 5.3.
You can't just swap the TCM. You would need to reflash your current E67/T42 combo with an 08 5.3L TB file and then copy over your current tune parameters.The communication between the two modules is handled mainly thru the CAN bus

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ight cool. Don't seem that bad, although I'm not the one that will be tuning it. I already figured I'd have to take it to my tuner after the swap just didn't know exactly what for.

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
In EFILive you just need to turn off the ISS input field...simple as clicking No instead of Yes in 1 field. Havent tested as I have my stock trans, but worth a quick flash if you can do it. Field is under Trans Calibration->General->Parameters, look for {D7026} Input Speed Sensor. Set to No and you should be ok, if not try flashing a 5.3 TCM OS in.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet! Thanks Erik. I've already put money down on the tranny so I should have it in a wk r 2.

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
Sweet! Thanks Erik. I've already put money down on the tranny so I should have it in a wk r 2.
No prob, again I havent done it yet as I dont have a 60E to test with (cant rip mine outta my 02, its getting demodded and sold over Xmas) but it *should* work. Maybe Alvin can tell you for sure?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gotcha. Well I'm willing to try anything. I don't have the tranny in my possession yet but when I get it, I'll update the thread.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well my new tranny is in. All he had to do is swap the tail shafts over, the gear selector thing on the driver side of the converter b/c the 60e selector was too short, trim the heat shield server cover for the billet servos, and that's pretty much it.
He flushed the converter the best he could, swapped tranny pans cuz his had a shallow pan, replaced my converter bolts since the head of one of mine was ate up, new fluid and filter.
Threw no codes, didn't have to turn anything off r mess with the tuning at all, and hits and pulls hard!!! Feels great!

·
XPTBSS
TrailblazerSS
4,249 Posts
Well my new tranny is in. All he had to do is swap the tail shafts over, the gear selector thing on the driver side of the converter b/c the 60e selector was too short, trim the heat shield server cover for the billet servos, and that's pretty much it.
He flushed the converter the best he could, swapped tranny pans cuz his had a shallow pan, replaced my converter bolts since the head of one of mine was ate up, new fluid and filter.
Threw no codes, didn't have to turn anything off r mess with the tuning at all, and hits and pulls hard!!! Feels great!
Glad to hear it all went smoothly...glad we could get you situated. Hopefull you have no further issues with the swap...now get some headers LOL

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea it went way smoother than I thought. When he called to tell me he was driving it, I figured he was calling to tell me it wouldn't r something in that category. Lol
Also I appreciate u lettin me know bout his tranny. Yea I know I need headers bad but I think I'm gonna start saving a Lil money first.
I'm thinking maybe Houston Raceway Friday: ) just want 2 passes but I know these tires aren't gonna hold. Wish I had my slicks up here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts