Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened a few miles from my house over the weekend.

Driver charged with murder in deaths of 3 on Johnston County road :: WRAL.com

Johnston County, N.C. — A man faces murder charges after his vehicle swerved off a Johnston County road last Sunday and into a crowd of bystanders.

Witnesses told WRAL News that a pair of cars was racing on Simon Road just before midnight when one lost control near Buckhorn Drive and veered into a crowd of spectators.

Jimmy Pearce, 37, the driver of that car, was charged with three counts of second-degree murder and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

Three people died after they were struck by Pearce's vehicle, and a four others were injured, according to a firefighter called to the scene.

Pearce's car ended up in the woods, and the driver of the other car fled the scene.

Read more at Driver charged with murder in deaths of 3 on Johnston County road :: WRAL.com

·
Registered
3SS TBSS
28 Posts
call me crazy, but doesn't second degree murder seem a little harsh? he'll be put away for a long time with charges like that. not trying to justify street racing, but i think everyone knows the dangers of racing cars on the highway and standing at the finish line is probably not the best place to be spectating...

before any one tries to burn me at the stake, ive been on both sides of the fence so im not just rambling out my booty hole. i have "racing on highway" on my record and also lost a good friend to street racing.

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
What happens to the drivers doing rally racing when they hit those spectators who stand right on the road edge?

Reactions: maxspeed96ct

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
36 Posts
They were attending an event that.....1. They knew was dangerous
2. They knew was illegal
3. They attended of their own free will

The driver participated knowing that 1. It was dangerous
2 . Knew it was illegal
3. Participated on his own free will

It is a tragic event that resulted in the loss of life. There is nothing worth the lives of those people. But to charge the driver with murder is wrong. Everyone there knew the law was being broken. Tragedy? YES.....Murder? NO!

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
I think the murder thing might be a bit harsh, but do we know what his record is like. He may have been busted for racing in the past.

I think they are making an example of him is the biggest thing.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KA47

·
Can you say 9's
AWD Trailblazer SS
2,065 Posts
Well, as this is a horrible thing to happen I do feel for all the families involved. RIP.
The guy who lost control in the end will more than likely be charged with vehicular homicide. If the court brings murder charges against him and the jury feels that this was not murder then the guy walks away. The prosecutor will most likely change this before the trial.
We all take this risk of this happening every time we decide to street race. I think about this more now as I have way more to loose than I did when I was younger. I received my street racing ticket at 18. Street racing was a big Friday and Saturday night event in central Ohio. I can remember staying out till the sun was coming up the next day. Now it's all about roll racing 40 to 140. Man street racing has sure changes through the years.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Manslaughter should be the max he should get IMO, but vehicular homicide will be the most likely. Should he spend time in jail, YES, should he spend life in jail for something that was an accident, NO....

Sad that it happened. Nice to see the family realizes it was a freak accident, that may go a long way in how he is charged and the time served. 7yrs max is what Id say if I was on the jury.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,313 Posts
The driver is being charged with murder because he fled the scene, and at this point, depending on his attitude and cooperation, he may or may not get a murder charge...

It is a Tradgedy...from every aspect

·
Can you say 9's
AWD Trailblazer SS
2,065 Posts
The driver is being charged with murder because he fled the scene, and at this point, depending on his attitude and cooperation, he may or may not get a murder charge..
The driver that lost control and hit the people and hit the tree didn't leave the guy he was racing left.

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
He caused the deaths of 4 individuals. No matter how you guys try to lighten his actions, there are families and friends deserve some type of justice, and not some slap on the wrist.

Spectators made a bad decision and it cost them their lives. Driver made a bad decision and it cost 4 people their lives.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
5,661 Posts
He caused the deaths of 4 individuals. No matter how you guys try to lighten his actions, there are families and friends deserve some type of justice, and not some slap on the wrist.

Spectators made a bad decision and it cost them their lives. Driver made a bad decision and it cost 4 people their lives.
People die everyday because they smoke, drink, use drugs...if you make a bad choice you pay. Sometimes it cost more than others. Let get real personal responsibility is something most don't understand anymore.

People have died watching racing from the start, that's why we have fence and waivers to sign. If a top fuel broke loose in the back half and went into the stands killing 4, would that be murder? Why is it any different? Because it happened at the track?

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Most likely will be charged with four counts of involuntary vehicular Homicide. His previous record will also be taken into account. The judge can only Criminally charge him to the degree as to how the law is written there. Now, after that, this is where his life will more than likely be turned upside down with civil suites against him. Street racing is a gamble. The end result could be a fun event, end with a speeding ticket or end up with several lives lost or people injured. His fun on the street unfortunately, ended tragically.
I feel for all parties and families involved. I've been on both sides of this fence, but never witnessed or have been involved in a tragic end result. RIP to those who lost their lives.

~Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines~

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
See jim, when u actually have something intelligent to say, I like it.
Lol...I had my Snickers this morning. I have my moments.

Reactions: 92tsiawdguy

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
Yes you do.

You are the Yo-Yo Ma of the skin-flute.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Lol...thank you?

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
People die everyday because they smoke, drink, use drugs...if you make a bad choice you pay. Sometimes it cost more than others. Let get real personal responsibility is something most don't understand anymore.

People have died watching racing from the start, that's why we have fence and waivers to sign. If a top fuel broke loose in the back half and went into the stands killing 4, would that be murder? Why is it any different? Because it happened at the track?
Racing at a certified track isn't illegal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts