Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to decide if I want to run a dedicated winter tire or just a triple peak rated all season tire. Those of you that get actual snow and drive yours all year round....what ya running?

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
886 Posts
Maybe a few of the Canadian peeps might chime in. Some of them were running the 17x7 LT Trailblazer wheels for their winter set because they have bad roads and the potholes got worse in the winter.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Reactions: ThwopKing

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
420 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4, next best thing to blizzaks in snow/ice and great at everything else. I used their AS 3+ for years while I was still driving my own vehicles in snow. I highly recommend not driving it in any snow though because these vehicles rust away in just a year from just a few days of driving in snow.. not exaggerating at all! There is just too much concentrated salt and unsealed over-lapping steel. If not for my interventions, my 2009's frame and underbody rust would have totaled the vehicle at only 3 years old and <9,000mi.

Reactions: ThwopKing

·
Registered
06'TrailblazerSS, 07'Z06,71'Stingray
371 Posts
I run Goodyear Eagles. I am awd. Just keep a full tank in it and its fine. Michigan has brutal winters. Never been stuck.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
112 Posts
I had General Altimax Artics (studded) here in Western NY. I had a neighbor who gave me a set of 17” OEM wheels with the tires when he sold his TB with 22” rims.
Granted, my truck only saw about 40 miles of snow since I’ve owned it, but those worked amazing for that ride from my old house to new one!
Now I use those wheels/tires when I store my truck.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
7 Posts
In Minnesota with AWD - In the past I would run "All Season" tires for spring/summer/fall, then Blizzaks or similar in the winter. Not impressed with the All Seasons in the winter - I recently started putting "All Weather" tires on some vehicles which are a good compromise and its nice to avoid dealing with the extra tire storage etc. Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady is working good for me, and there might be other All Weather options from other manufacturers in our size.

With AWD, turning off the traction and stability control is a blast to power drift around during the snow storms!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I was planning on running, at the very least, BFG Advantage T/A's or Goodyear WeatherReady's since they are triple peak snow rated. I have the BFG's and running a tire shop I have access to just about anything for "at cost" prices. So I'll give the WeatherReady's a shot and see how they do.

Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4, next best thing to blizzaks in snow/ice and great at everything else. I used their AS 3+ for years while I was still driving my own vehicles in snow. I highly recommend not driving it in any snow though because these vehicles rust away in just a year from just a few days of driving in snow.. not exaggerating at all! There is just too much concentrated salt and unsealed over-lapping steel. If not for my interventions, my 2009's frame and underbody rust would have totaled the vehicle at only 3 years old and <9,000mi.
I had thought about that undercarriage issue as I've seen normal Trailblazers in this area get abused by it even though we arent in a "heavy" salt area but they use LOTS of the ice brine here. So I will be checking into that undercoating.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
420 Posts
Yeah I was planning on running, at the very least, BFG Advantage T/A's or Goodyear WeatherReady's since they are triple peak snow rated. I have the BFG's and running a tire shop I have access to just about anything for "at cost" prices. So I'll give the WeatherReady's a shot and see how they do.

I had thought about that undercarriage issue as I've seen normal Trailblazers in this area get abused by it even though we arent in a "heavy" salt area but they use LOTS of the ice brine here. So I will be checking into that undercoating.
The ice brine is even worse! That crap really gets into all the small crevices. Undercoating imo is just thick extra weight.. its the small tiny areas of over-lapping and not-fully welded (stitched) steel plating that the super corrosive crap gets in. I fully welded all joints, coated outside in por15, used tubing sprayer to coat inside of rails in frame inhibitor and now I'm afraid to drive it in snow/ice again bc of all that work. You could lift it up, take tires and fender liners off and try to spot-hit any existing surface rust but that alone wont buy the frame much time. You could also religiously power-wash the undercarriage after every snowy outing but that's a pain in the ass and still not entirely effective at getting to all the areas where the ice brine splashes into. There are literally a dozen of these gmt360's getting totaled everyday because of frame and/or underbody sheet metal rust damage. Just trying to avoid one more horror story of a tbss owner investing 5-10k++ in enhancements, only to find out later that their front strut tower is about to catastrophically fail on the next pothole they hit and/or that their foot goes through the floor at the same time. If one wants their SS to last for a while and/or retain its resale value then your best bet is getting a beater trailblazer 4x4 sixer or getting a rental or using public transpo for the salty 3 months of the year. If one uses their SS on salt/salt-brine roads, the SS will become your next beater.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had 18x8 Saab 9-7X stock wheels with 255/55R-18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 XL. 10x better than all seasons on 20x10's- even Continental ExtremeContact DWS which I've loved as an AS tire before.
Yeah I'll be more than likely going with DWS 06Plus' when the new wheels go on in spring.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
112 Posts
I’d be sure to take it tona good care wash that can clean the undercarriage and then have a quality undercoating done if you want the truck to last.
I have multiple vehicles and the one I didn’t undercoat clearly shows the effects of the salt used here in NY.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I found a place that does undercoating and seems to be pretty good at it. Just about 90 mins away and the need the truck for 2 days. I day to do it and 1 to sit to dry/ cure. So just have to work out the logistics... may have it flatbed towed down midweek and try to pick it up on a Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 tbss awd
8 Posts
Yeah I found a place that does undercoating and seems to be pretty good at it. Just about 90 mins away and the need the truck for 2 days. I day to do it and 1 to sit to dry/ cure. So just have to work out the logistics... may have it flatbed towed down midweek and try to pick it up on a Saturday.

Ran bf
ran bfg advantage 2 years ago in Minnesota, kinda worthless in snow. Now driving on Nokia wr suv, much better all around tire, however, the most fun you’ll ever have in the snow is dedicated snow tires and awd. Safer too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah if these weather ready tires prove to be useless up just throw some snow tires on it.... but we also don't get snow like the Midwest

1 - 16 of 16 Posts