Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I was taking the wife for ice cream and it's a few miles of country highway to get into town.
As soon as I pull out if the driveway, here comes a Cobalt SS/TC on my tail. Following closely the entire way and dropping back only to see how fast he can catch up.

I've had this TBSS (awd) for about a month now. LS and V8 really are all new to me. I've had some fwd shit boxes (MS3 FUNNNN, FoST....not fun) and 2 Evo 9's. The evos are where any knowledge I have resides.

I've not raced a single vehicle yet as it is 256k miles (insanely good condition inside and mechanically). The previous owner was shooting 175 to it and even a few passes on 200. Bone stock minus catback. No tune. 馃槺
As you can assume, I am hesitant at the least to give the poor thing any more hell until I get the trans built and grab a backup 6.0.

So I did as any red blooded man would. I led his ass to the highway to line it up.
As soon as we turn onto the highway I stay around 20mph (traffic probs). He gets over and just nails it.
Has about a 5-10mph jump and I hit it as soon as he is beside me. It was around 100-110mph before I came around him.
At first I was disappointed as my last car, Evo 9RS, made minced meat out every Cobalt that I ran.

Alas, can't be mad. It's a 250+k mile man van that has taken a bearing and keeps on ticking. Seems to me like these things can take some abuse.
I'm feeling a built trans, stealth cam, nitrous will be fun. Until the engine finally lets go.

Registered
Sounds like fun.. I personally really do enjoy this truck and I can totally understand your feeling on the Evo platform. I had a X with 770. So when I got the TBSS AWD was a requirement. All n all the TBSS is a pretty awesome grocery getter.

Premium Member
Sold
The weight to power difference is going to hurt the stock TBSS on the launch, but will reel most likely them in on the big end unless the 4 banger is heavily modified.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Cobalt wouldn't need to be heavily modified to win. I'd be willing to wager a tune only ss/TC would beat me.....for now.
Keep in mind I am stock on top of stock right now. And 250k miles.

Registered
TrailblazerSS
I have both and the Cobalt feels quicker
TBSS with a MP-112 so that is around 500HP
Coblat SS TC with some ZZP goodies and that is like 340HP
The math supports that
TBSS weighs 4600 lbs so 9.4 lbs per HP
Cobalt SS/TC 2700 lbs so 7.9 lbs per HP

The Cobalt has trouble getting out of the hole being FWD but on rolling run it with hang with most.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I have both and the Cobalt feels quicker
TBSS with a MP-112 so that is around 500HP
Coblat SS TC with some ZZP goodies and that is like 340HP
The math supports that
TBSS weighs 4600 lbs so 9.4 lbs per HP
Cobalt SS/TC 2700 lbs so 7.9 lbs per HP

The Cobalt has trouble getting out of the hole being FWD but on rolling run it with hang with most.
Cobalts (TC) definitely get down and move. Great highway hunters for sure.

Looks like some bolt ons are in my very near future.

Premium Member
07 tbss awd
I had a supercharged colbalt ss with 300whp , which was my first and last fwd experience, it sure was fun on the highway. Same problem, would not get out of the hole.

Now, I doubt there are many coblat鈥檚 that could hang with my tbss. But then again i could probably buy and modify 3 cobalts ss for what I have into this thing!

Registered
2007 Trailblazer 3SS
Cobalt wouldn't need to be heavily modified to win. I'd be willing to wager a tune only ss/TC would beat me.....for now.
Keep in mind I am stock on top of stock right now. And 250k miles.
I have to disagree, AND if you can find someone with HP Tuner, I do have a tune that will rock your socks.
I made mincemeat out of many a Cobalt, TC or SC in this big ol boat, and all I did was open the air box (DIY CIA) and a few tips/tricks I learned from Regalgs.org guys and an exhaust.

That's a GSE model. 3.8l V6 S/C model and mostly just a good tune.
As for my TBSS, look at the HPT chart below, notice the crank SAE HP and TQ numbers, and it has a similarly modified air box and res delete, oh yea and the Buick has 237k on it and the TBSS has 178k on her

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I have to disagree, AND if you can find someone with HP Tuner, I do have a tune that will rock your socks.
I made mincemeat out of many a Cobalt, TC or SC in this big ol boat, and all I did was open the air box (DIY CIA) and a few tips/tricks I learned from Regalsgs.org guys
I just know what the TC cars are capable of. And after seeing how I barely pulled a stock one from a roll, I can without any doubt say that one with very little mods, like just a tune, would 100% beat this stock tbss from a roll aswell.

View attachment 101039
That's a GSE model. 3.8l V6 S/C model and mostly just a good tune.
As for my TBSS, look at the HPT chart below, notice the crank SAE HP and TQ numbers, and it has a similarly modified air box and res delete, oh yea and the Buick has 237k on it and the TBSS has 178k on her
View attachment 101040
That is a good looking GS. I've had a couple myself. First one I had with just the airbox mod I beat a zzp stage 3 Cobalt as/sc. They were shocked and I was hooked haha.
I have a k&n short ram intake on it now. That with the catback are the only things it has done. I definitely plan on getting it tuned soon. Possible tuned the way it sits, then more parts and retuned.

Basically I'm power hungry now. Haha

Registered
2007 Trailblazer 3SS
I just know what the TC cars are capable of. And after seeing how I barely pulled a stock one from a roll, I can without any doubt say that one with very little mods, like just a tune, would 100% beat this stock tbss from a roll aswell.

That is a good looking GS. I've had a couple myself. First one I had with just the airbox mod I beat a zzp stage 3 Cobalt as/sc. They were shocked and I was hooked haha.
I have a k&n short ram intake on it now. That with the catback are the only things it has done. I definitely plan on getting it tuned soon. Possible tuned the way it sits, then more parts and retuned.

Basically I'm power hungry now. Haha
I know them well too, just like the W body cars (Regal, Impala, GP) and I'm telling you, my buick at 3250lb ran 13:989 at 99mph, I still had the stock size pulley. That was air, exhaust and tune. Oh and on street tires. Good ones, but still.
And if over 400 SAE Crank HP out of a stock (except airbox and muffler) TBSS doesn't sound like she'll go, I can almost spin all 4 tires with all the TC stuff off. I need an on/off ABS switch, that will help launch even better, and it sets you back in the seat.
My guess is if you are on a stock tune w/those miles, you'll see those same crank hp numbers 345hp or below. Like min was here;

Oh and the tuned TQ numbers on the TBSS are about 419.
I don't know how to do the math to use any reasonable percentage of drive train loss, a lot of guys just guess 18 and 24% FWD vs RWD, but I have no clue for AWD. One guy says 25%, but I'd accept anything 350 or above WHP considering "It's just a 6 (LOL) and pretty much just a tune.

Test and tune night will start up again in the next couple weeks, I'll get a couple runs just for grins.
I have no real plans for major mods (at least not now), but she's a hoot to drive as she sits.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I know them well too, just like the W body cars (Regal, Impala, GP) and I'm telling you, my buick at 3250lb ran 13:989 at 99mph, I still had the stock size pulley. That was air, exhaust and tune. Oh and on street tires. Good ones, but still.
And if over 400 SAE Crank HP out of a stock (except airbox and muffler) TBSS doesn't sound like she'll go, I can almost spin all 4 tires with all the TC stuff off. I need an on/off ABS switch, that will help launch even better, and it sets you back in the seat.
My guess is if you are on a stock tune w/those miles, you'll see those same crank hp numbers 345hp or below. Like min was here;
View attachment 101043

Oh and the tuned TQ numbers on the TBSS are about 419.
I don't know how to do the math to use any reasonable percentage of drive train loss, a lot of guys just guess 18 and 24% FWD vs RWD, but I have no clue for AWD. One guy says 25%, but I'd accept anything 350 or above WHP considering "It's just a 6 (LOL) and pretty much just a tune.

Test and tune night will start up again in the next couple weeks, I'll get a couple runs just for grins.
I have no real plans for major mods (at least not now), but she's a hoot to drive as she sits.

Oh I have no doubt about that at all brotha. Mine just needs more "umph". As it is almost 260k miles and had previously been ran hard on a 175&200 shot frequently on stock tune.

I'd say I will probably get a tune for the intake and catback, and start ordering parts.

Previous owner has shift kit, cam, and some more goodies with stall. I will probably buy all but the cam as I want to go for the stealth cam kit.

Also need to do the oil pickup, 160 thermo, and trans cooler. For now though, I'll be getting a tune asap.

Registered
TrailblazerSS
There is one advantage that a Ecotec LNF has in the tuning.
It has direct injection so chances of detonation are way less.
Mine is running 28 lbs of boost on a mild tune.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts