Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what kind of range there is for:

Stock(ish) intake IAT's vs the ambient temp. I.E. How much higher is the IAT normally over ambient (range). Just wondering, cause I don't remember anyone posting anything like this.

By "stockish" intake I mean actual stock, or the variety of intakes that use the stock location (with no other changes).

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has any test results and/or ideas?

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Mine were out of hand with both the stock and K&N intakes, but that was so long ago, I do not recall...like 25-30 above ambient!

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks guys...any specific results would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
An intake using the stock airbox will see temps from ambient to 25 degrees above in heat soaked situations from what I have seen monitoring. Ambient temp reading on the IAT on these type of intakes only happens at cold start. They seem to recover to about 7 degrees above aat at best.

FWI FTW.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
It's like 9 degrees cruising over ambient (except summer)... In the summer it's like 14 degrees (again cruising)...

Over 90-95 degrees ambient it'll be like 20 over ambient, and when your standing still in the summer it can go way over that...

There's no magic formula, and that's my observation with a ieatsrt8 and IAT relocation kit - stock air box... I have my dashhawk on 24 / 7 so I'm always looking....

Regards

Stock(ish) intake IAT's vs the ambient temp. I.E. How much higher is the IAT normally over ambient (range). Just wondering, cause I don't remember anyone posting anything like this.

By "stockish" intake I mean actual stock, or the variety of intakes that use the stock location (with no other changes).

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
510 Posts
I've seen 185* on the IAT before with the stock intake on a 85-90* day.
It really changes on how much you sit in traffic and how fast you are going.

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen 185* on the IAT before with the stock intake on a 85-90* day.
It really changes on how much you sit in traffic and how fast you are going.
Like I said, I'm interested in ranges people have seen. At idle - WOT.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts

Bone stock, I was 20-30 above ambient in slow to stop traffic on hot days. Highway was at best 15 above ambient.

Stock with MAF and airbox insulation, airbox sealing and better underhood airflow I'm 10-15 above ambient on hot days slow/idle traffic. 5-10 above ambient on highway.

·
Premium Member
'07 awd
2,421 Posts
With my iat sensor in the grill I, my iat's are about 2-3 deg below the temp on the outside air temp guage (mirror on 1ss, hvac control head on 3ss). What is strange, is that the aat reading on the dashhawk will often read 20-30 degrees below the outside temp reading. I'm no tuner, but I have to beleive the aat reading that the dashhawk is retreiving from the ecm is a formulated calculation rather than an actual sensor reading.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
With my iat sensor in the grill I, my iat's are about 2-3 deg below the temp on the outside air temp guage (mirror on 1ss, hvac control head on 3ss). What is strange, is that the aat reading on the dashhawk will often read 20-30 degrees below the outside temp reading. I'm no tuner, but I have to beleive the aat reading that the dashhawk is retreiving from the ecm is a formulated calculation rather than an actual sensor reading.
Shhh...don't tell anyone around here that your IAT has read lower than the outside temp. Lol

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
So...you are not really seeing anything proportional to real IAT then. Hows that help with knock retard kicking in all the time?

·
Premium Member
'07 awd
2,421 Posts
So...you are not really seeing anything proportional to real IAT then. Hows that help with knock retard kicking in all the time?
Not trying to be a smart ass, but based on my 1/4 mile times I'd say my TBSS runs pretty good. I can't tell when kr kicks in, but I often see 27* of timing on the dashhawk. I can't "set up" my dashhawk to read kr, maybe because I have vista and I am a computer idiot, but since I don't do any tuning, it doesn't really bother me.

Still not trying to be a smart ass, but myself and 3 others around here do/did the same thing with the iat sensor. The slowest of these ran a 13.2?. All with tune and intakes only except one had a magnaflow muffler in place of the stock muffler (he was the slowest by the way). We all have/had Vector tunes also. Maybe Kirk knows a trick? I don't know, but it seems to work.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ass, but based on my 1/4 mile times I'd say my TBSS runs pretty good. I can't tell when kr kicks in, but I often see 27* of timing on the dashhawk. I can't "set up" my dashhawk to read kr, maybe because I have vista and I am a computer idiot, but since I don't do any tuning, it doesn't really bother me.

Still not trying to be a smart ass, but myself and 3 others around here do/did the same thing with the iat sensor. The slowest of these ran a 13.2?. All with tune and intakes only except one had a magnaflow muffler in place of the stock muffler (he was the slowest by the way). We all have/had Vector tunes also. Maybe Kirk knows a trick? I don't know, but it seems to work.
Good 1/4 times but I would credit the tune, pulley t-stat and intake more than the IAT relocated.

·
Premium Member
'07 awd
2,421 Posts
Good 1/4 times but I would credit the tune, pulley t-stat and intake more than the IAT relocated.
I am. You brought up kr kicking in though, which would probably hurt performance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts