Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I pull the mounts. How often do the stock engine mounts compress? And by how much? Does one side wear more than the other? Are these solid rubber or oil filled? For a smooth idle are there any cheaper reliable alternatives?

Just wondering because I don't like how the engine is sitting, either that or I don't like the fitment of this right side tubular header, it's almost touching the right frame rail. Not looking forward to changing them, plus local dealer wants $169 each. I wonder if I can get away with just changing the right one.

Any insight appreciated.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,768 Posts
I have my stock motor mounts I pulled out when I went stroker and I bought the TPD set from Jay upon engine reinstallation. If you want to go back with stockers, I will let them both go for $50 plus shipping. They are in great shape. Let me know if you are interested and I can snap a few pics tonight and post them up.

Reactions: markrn

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the offer David. I ordered one from the dealer, I just want to be sure I get all the height out of a new one. I'm curious to see if my used one has in fact collapsed.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For reference, here is the difference in height between used and new dealer rubber mount. I don't have a press at home to measure but I suspect there is more of a difference with weight on them. I only changed the right side as only header clearance issue there. It helped a little but the header is still a little close for my liking. I'll run it for a while before I try to bend the header any more.

·
needs moar powa
1,185 Posts
Wow that's a big difference, how is the install ? You Awd or 2wd ?

Did you have to remove the headers ?

I'm Awd and those fuckers look impossible to reach last time I took a glance

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 2wd, before I started I was cursing the stupid design with no access to the right 2 upper bolts. I was wondering about removing a/c comp, headers and starter.

In reality it was pretty easy. I undid both left and right rubber mount nuts from the bottom. Then raised the engine a couple inches with a cherry picker off front. I only changed the right mount. Undid the 3 large bolts for the frame mounted bracket, then removed it. Then removed the 3 15mm headed bolts for the small black mount bracket. Then it comes out the bottom. It probably took an hour with me staring at it wondering why they did it like that, I think I could cut that time in half. The left mount may have added a couple minutes more.

All the work is from the side and bottom, I left the a/c, starter and long tube headers in place.

·
needs moar powa
1,185 Posts
I'm 2wd, before I started I was cursing the stupid design with no access to the right 2 upper bolts. I was wondering about removing a/c comp, headers and starter.

In reality it was pretty easy. I undid both left and right rubber mount nuts from the bottom. Then raised the engine a couple inches with a cherry picker off front. I only changed the right mount. Undid the 3 large bolts for the frame mounted bracket, then removed it. Then removed the 3 15mm headed bolts for the small black mount bracket. Then it comes out the bottom. It probably took an hour with me staring at it wondering why they did it like that, I think I could cut that time in half. The left mount may have added a couple minutes more.

All the work is from the side and bottom, I left the a/c, starter and long tube headers in place.
Thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow at mine now and see if I can replicate your steps - I think being Awd my front cv axles are in the way.

Anyone with a Awd have any input ?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
Thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow at mine now and see if I can replicate your steps - I think being Awd my front cv axles are in the way.

Anyone with a Awd have any input ?
Pull the headers. then life will be easy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts