Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone rebuilt their ss steering rack. If so what seals did u use. Any tips. I asked most of the seal companies and they tell me that their seal kits for normal trailblazers won’t fit the ss rack. Does anyone know what the difference is and if u can use the seals that go on the ends of the rack near the inner tie rod ends??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have u actually used it?? I asked ac delco and they said they don’t offer a seal kit for the ss racks. When I asked they couldn’t tell me what the differences in seals between the ss and the regular trailblazer racks are. I also checked with edleman (same answer), gates (same answer).

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
663 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have two steering racks, and the faster ratio TBSS one leaks like crazy. I need to rebuild it. Right now, I have a standard Saab rack which is faster than the 4.2 racks, but slower than the TBSS one. I've looked into sending it out, but it's hundreds of $$ for a rebuild + a huge PITA to ship.

Tim

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called local dealership parts Dept they told me the end seals are 26088111 and that 36348509 (19286453) Does fit the truck. Guess I’ll have to order it and try it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
80 Posts
Any update on this. I'm looking for a solution as well.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m either sending it out to turnone or United Power Steering in Redford, Michigan. Just not sure who has the better quality reliability. Not super excited to spend 300-400 to rebuild and then 100-200 in shipping. These shipping companies are crooks

·
Registered
06' Red Jewel 3SS,
353 Posts
I’m either sending it out to turnone or United Power Steering in Redford, Michigan. Just not sure who has the better quality reliability. Not super excited to spend 300-400 to rebuild and then 100-200 in shipping. These shipping companies are crooks
Where are you located?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who’s used turnone for their rebuild. Any reviews of their work or pricing??

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
384 Posts
I wouldn't ship that out. You found the rebuild kit and there are tons of videos on youtube that show how to rebuild a power rack. Not that bad of a job at all.
If you lack time and/or mechanical confidence then just take to a reputable gm dealer.. then if anything isn't done right you can physically hold them accountable

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
384 Posts
Damn, well let us know how it goes if you send it out.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
149 Posts
Digging up an old thread, I have blown a seal on my rack and I can’t find a replacement. I’m good with rebuilding one myself. Can anyone verify a correct seal kit for this rack?

Or is there anyone in the Kansas City area that has an extra rack I can use as core to rebuild?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts