Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot, and I mean a LOT, of research, I finally ordered some parts to start a headlight retrofit in my new TBSS.

I debated an HID projector, but by the time I added a good set of ballasts, bulbs, etc... It was the same price for equal performance. I decided on the profile bi led projector, and lucked into a good price on profile hi lens high beam projectors. I also ordered some new aftermarket housings.

I split the new housings open by baking at 230F for 10 minutes. After I got the top separated, I had to put them in again to get the bottom hot enough again to separate the lower side.

After doing some test fitting, I figured out that the high beam projectors would either need very narrow shrouds, or to be smaller projectors (the profile hi lens is a 3" projector). I will need to order either Morimoto 3easy shrouds (which are basically designed for this application), or switch to the Morimoto hi beam, which is a 2.8" projector.

For the low beams, I had ordered a set of "iris" shrouds. They look like they will fit with some trimming. Maybe a decent amount of trimming. Also, the base of the reflector has a little raised area that will need trimmer, shouldn't be a huge deal.

I did fine a good place for my led drivers, they fit like a glove under the side reflector. This allows the headlights to be a single piece, and simplifies my wiring. I can put the high beam splitters, as well as diodes for the high and low beam circuits inside the headlights and not have to mess with the external wiring. I will affix them with some 3m vhb, to prevent them from moving around.

So now I have to decide on the high beam projector. The projector I have currently includes a DRL circuit, which is kinda nice. The Morimoto might be small enough to use a different shrouds, and has a little wider beam, but I don't know that other shrouds will really still fit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As an aside i have the morimoto LED high beam projector and their bi-led 2.0 projector. Havent tried to fit it into the knock off headlights i got from amazon yet.

I really have no idea what im getting into with these. Normally i would have just bought a mini ds HID setup and call it a day, but this was a splurge purchase

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with the profile over the mled because the mled has a much larger diameter threaded adapter. It requires drilling the bulb opening out by like 10mm, and I didn't have confidence in getting that lined up right.

This is my mock up, you can see that everything is very tight already lol.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looks good! Are you going to paint anything?

Im torn with the all black leaving only the projectors showing to maybe a pewter/grey inside instead? Ill have to do more searching on what other cars may have from the factory to get some inspiration. Last thing i want is all my hardwork to come off as some cheap ebay knockoff/lookalike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't decided on that yet. The all chromed look will probably look OK, I think a satin paint to sort of hide the reflector bowls might also work... I'm leaning towards not painting anything currently. I think the only internal mod to them I am going to do is a layer of vinyl tint on the corner light. Just to smoke it out a little bit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got some more work done last night. Cut the reflectors so the low beam projector will fit in. I learned that this was not going to be a standard install at that moment.

Our reflectors are actually quite shallow, and so the projector sticks up past the reflector bowl. More research showed that what people who did this before mainly did was trim the shrouds to the front trim. Piece, not the reflector bowl. This means that it's gonna be a much larger pain in the ass than I was thinking, because the projector and shroud have to clear two trim pieces. Based on that, I will likely end up painting the buckets satin black, so hopefully it will be less obvious. I'm debating on making a trim piece to completely cover the reflectors as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Made some more progress over the past few evenings. Clearance the reflector bowls, and cut the HB shroud to fit. Started on the LB shroud as well, but it doesn't clear on the front lens. It does however bend and deform, which is how I got this pic of the mock up.

Oh, and I painted the reflector bowls with a high heat satin black, then promptly got a bunch more headlight housing dust on it. Either way, regular satin black high heat paint isn't dark black enough for what I wanted... It came out super dark gray. So I will have to find a darker paint to use for this, but it does somewhat help to hide the fact that it's sitting in reflector bowls. The left projector has its Leds in a weird angle in this picture, so it looks kinda yellow. It is not, haha.

IMG_20210329_230040.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More progress to talk about... Less to show.

Decided the first high heat paint was too gray, bought krylon high heat satin black and it's MUUUCH better. That meant time to get everything in and nearly time to finish off. Decided to check the highbeam to lowbeam alignment, it's not great. Ran into a couple different issues. Firstly, the profile hi lens highbeam. Projector is a square spotlight. It has no width, just a square spot. By rotating it around I can get it to be almost useful... But not really. Combined with the regular bi led highbeam it likely will be fine, but it's not ideal. Problem 2 is that the DRLs in both my my high beam projectors don't work. This combined with the shitty spot beam makes me convinced I should exchange them for Morimoto high beam projectors.

Outside of that, I did some trimming to the backside of the front bezel. It's going to need more, but should help with the amount I have to trim off the actual projector bezel.

Part of me wishes I had just gone with something in a really small shroud, like a gatling gun shroud. It's gonna work out in the end, just... A lot more trimming, lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up switching to the Morimoto mini high beam units. MUCH wider, and they aimed in place pretty perfectly almost immediately. They're a little smaller too, which is nice.

I have a little more trimming to do on my low beam shroud, and then I'm basically set for the first light. I've been debating if I want to do something more unique on the turn signals, or I should just leave them alone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a lot more trimming, and adjusting, then more trimming and more adjusting... The first one is just about done.

To get the high beam in and to clear like I wanted to I enlarged the bulb hole to give me some adjustability. That allowed me to fiddle with it ough to get it to clear the bezel. I did have to clearance the bezel both below the high beam and above the low beam. The iris shrouds I picked look nice, but due to their design, they sort of stick up past the bezel. It looks OK, but there is definitely a gap along the top from where I trimmed. Luckily, I had planned to use those for high and low beams, so I have spares. I may try to adjust my trimming on them to fit better and cover that up before I seal everything up.

I also decided to smoke the corner reflector. It came out a lot darker than I expected it to. I think I'm going to not seal these up until I get halfway through the other side, and will try light smoke on that side vs the dark smoke I used on this side.

At this point, the only part I haven't touched is the turn signal... Which looks a little out of place now. I don't know what I'm going to do there yet, part of me wants to put some sort of more modern led strip in, part of me says leave it alone. I don't want it to look too aftermarket add on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts