Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please fill in the blank...
#1) Would you consider a stall (with tune) for your first mod?

#2) Does getting a stall knock you out of towing anything?

#3) If you plan on being a strickly bolt-on SS for quite some time what size stall would be best?

#4) Would you upgrade servos while messing with the stall?

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,401 Posts

#3) If you plan on being a strickly bolt-on SS for quite some time what size stall would be best?

if you are doing a stall

1) get a transmission cooler
2) get the billet servos
3) you can get a 2800 stall and still tow.
4) the stall from phoenix transmission is like 350 bucks and well worth the price.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
#1. No I would get a tune first even though for optimum results, it will have to be re-tuned with the stall.
#2. No, it depends on what you want to tow.
#3. If I am not going to tow, 3600. If I am towing light, 3000. If I am going to tow the full 6,000 lbs, I would leave it stock.
#4. I would go with a full tranny mod like the RPM's Stage 5 or Phoenix equivalent.
JMHO.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts

I agree with Norcal on everything. I need a shrink...

Got to have a cooler with a stall. Yank sells a 3200 that still allows you to retain full towing capacity. Its not cheap but its a good TC.

Servos are butt cheap. A GM Corvette servo is only $15.00. Some guys go Sonnex, but I did not want that agressive. You can do the 3-4 servo but it has no use for me. Dont plan on WOT 3-4 shifts. 1-2 is good though.

Deep pan is a good idea as well. Gives you a drain, more capacity, adds strength to the trans case and looks cool.

All tuners I have used told me they would not retune for my 3200 stall.

·
Premium Member
06' TBSS 2WD
3,410 Posts
I'm going with a Yank 3600 and the PCM4Less tranny cooler. Should be installed in a couple of weeks. :D

·
Premium Member
TBSS
1,279 Posts
I went with the Yank 3000 and also did corvette servos and a tranny (better looking than Tony's) cooler. I think it was the best money I have ever spent as far as mods go. You won't be disappointed, whichever one you go with. I did tow my jet skis the other day and it seemed to be fine, even though it was only a short distance. I would say the one from Phoenix Trans that Tony and Joe talk about would be a great way to go.

·
Registered
06 TBSS 2WD
346 Posts
I went with the Yank Truck SST 3200 converter thats rated at 4000lbs towing. Trans cooler is a must. Go with the Fairbanks servos 2nd and 4th (they use the stock pin).

You can get a stall without a tune. But the tune REALLY wakes the truck up. No retune needed after the converter either.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
I went with the Yank Truck SST 3200 converter thats rated at 4000lbs towing. Trans cooler is a must. Go with the Fairbanks servos 2nd and 4th (they use the stock pin).

You can get a stall without a tune. But the tune REALLY wakes the truck up. No retune needed after the converter either.
Why the SST over the PTB? Its been a while since I bought mine and dont remember why?

·
Registered
06' TBSS LT2
576 Posts
if you're on a tight budget i would suggest looking at a TB I6 TC, I believe Zippy on TrailblazerSS.com sells them modified for a decent price. you can retain stock towing capability and pick up maybe .2-.3.. Vigilante converters are big $$$ but mostly bulletproof, although they do not rate them to tow (a 10.5" 2800 triple disc TCC would tow 3k easy)

biggest trans cooler that fits is the way to go, even stock imo, they run HOT...

lastly the servos are a must. i did the sonnax billet and was glad i didn't go with the corvette ones, not enough difference to even notice, Matt changed his vette ones out with the sonnax and was quite impressed, all because he rode in my truck after i put mine in... good luck, just remember think of what you want the truck to be down the road just don't slap parts in there will cost you double in the end.. (SC, Turbo, HC, N2o, etc. as well as a "number"..13.0, 12.0, etc.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts