Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lowered? If so they can hit bump stops. Helper bags can soften that. I put 1/2" I'd heater hose around top coil of springs to stop the rubbing noise I had from the spring on the upper perch
Yes it's lowered and the cut the bump stops over half of it is gone. I ordered new bump stops and am thinking about the helper bags but didn't want to jump into that without knowing if that would actually help or not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not much suspension travel left before it hits bump stops once lowered. I'm at 30.5" at fender. Helper bags helped but haven't stopped it. When I go through intersections with ruts that are on the cross street I still bottom out. I've run a lot of lowered cars/trucks over the years and I'm used to it I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not much suspension travel left before it hits bump stops once lowered. I'm at 30.5" at fender. Helper bags helped but haven't stopped it. When I go through intersections with ruts that are on the cross street I still bottom out. I've run a lot of lowered cars/trucks over the years and I'm used to it I guess.
I'll give the helper bags a try and see if it at least helps a little as well as the new bump stops. I just don't want to cause damage driving in these crappy oklahoma roads. Thank you for the help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats a bummer. Mine are powder coated. I like the black. Need them redone though. My better half likes to make sure the curbs are where they should be. Each time they are still there😂
I'm the only driver on mine my other half doesn't like driving mine she says it's too rough. How much does it cost to powder coat? I may attempt to sandblast and powder coat my own. I've done it on other stuff just never rims

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure on the cost. Mine were already coated when I bought the truck. I use BA powder coating for other small jobs. They bitch if they have to blast it though. Really only want bare metal I guess. Haven't shopped around too much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure on the cost. Mine were already coated when I bought the truck. I use BA powder coating for other small jobs. They bitch if they have to blast it though. Really only want bare metal I guess. Haven't shopped around too much.
Well I have a sand blaster and the powder coating set up I just only have 1 normal oven so takes 4 hours per rim. I'll do mine and send u pics and if ur interested we can meet up and I'll do urs for cost of material. Us okie car guys gotta stick together lol

·
Lighter-than-you
507 Posts
I'd say helper bags are practically a must when going to 31.5 or lower. I was bottoming out a good bit whenever I had a rear passenger.. and that was already with a lot of weight shaved off. You can also cut the entire bump-stop perch off the frame and gain better than 1.5" clearance even after removing bump stop itself. Another bonus to helpers is you can pump up passenger side more and get better hook when launching

Reactions: Dadrod87

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd say helper bags are practically a must when going to 31.5 or lower. I was bottoming out a good bit whenever I had a rear passenger.. and that was already with a lot of weight shaved off. You can also cut the entire bump-stop perch off the frame and gain better than 1.5" clearance even after removing bump stop itself. Another bonus to helpers is you can pump up passenger side more and get better hook when launching
I plan on installing full size bump stop and the helper bags do u think it will still hit when I hit a bump

·
Lighter-than-you
507 Posts
I plan on installing full size bump stop and the helper bags do u think it will still hit when I hit a bump
Leaving the whole bump-stop will assuredly be hitting quite often. With half the bump-stop, I had to pump up helpers so much that springs weren't springing, to prevent any bottoming out. The cut-down bump-stops compress so much that perch hits axle. I then took out entire bump-stop, deflated bags back to where they felt right... and when I had rear passengers, the metal bs perch was still hitting my axle. Thats when I took out the wheel-of-death and removed those.. My advice is, shy of cutting out perches, leave the bumpstops out altogether and pump bags as much as possible (while still comfortable) , drive around big bumps and be more conscientious when you have rear passengers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Leaving the whole bump-stop will assuredly be hitting quite often. With half the bump-stop, I had to pump up helpers so much that springs weren't springing, to prevent any bottoming out. The cut-down bump-stops compress so much that perch hits axle. I then took out entire bump-stop, deflated bags back to where they felt right... and when I had rear passengers, the metal bs perch was still hitting my axle. Thats when I took out the wheel-of-death and removed those.. My advice is, shy of cutting out perches, leave the bumpstops out altogether and pump bags as much as possible (while still comfortable) , drive around big bumps and be more conscientious when you have rear passengers.
I avoid almost any hole, crease, and bump I can but oklahoma roads are the worst so sometimes unavoidable but the only rear passenger I ever have is my 65lb daughter lol. So bags and wheel of death for perch... 10-4

1 - 20 of 21 Posts