Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going out on a limb here, it's gonna be hard to describe this one and get an answer but it's getting on my nerves, a few weeks ago I heard a a rattling from the front end, it only did it a few times and went away, The last few days I've been hearing it more, doesn't do it unless I'm turning or a bump and even then it doesn't always do it. Everything looks and feels solid in the front end, no effects on handling. I'm dropped on Kbees and DJM arms which makes it pretty stiff. The best I can descibe the noise is it's like you put a plate on a table and it wobbles around for a second. It's my first vehicle with a rack and pinion, do they make any noises when they go? I don't think it's hubs, replaced them not that long ago and they made a different noise. I'm at a loss now, can't figure it out, just curious if anyone else has had any noises like this and what it was.

·
Registered
TBSS Black 2006
532 Posts
Does it do it when the brakes are pressed? I just found my clunk a few days ago. My caliper bracket shims that the pads sit in had busted tabs allowing the pads to slap the rotor going over bumps.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think I had brakes on, but I'll be doing new rotors and pads in a week or so so I'll check that. Would I be able to see it through the wheel or feel something loose? It seems like a stretch but I was thinking since I'm lowered the sway bar angle is all off with stock end links, think it could be far enough to tap something? I'm not slammed but 31.5ish. Keep the suggestions coming, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
TBSS Black 2006
532 Posts
Also check all those rubber boots on the end links and what not. Make sure they are all secure and not cracked. Bushings make sure the plastics in there are not squished and cracked looking.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if the end links are shot the swaybar could clank around but not enough to make it handle funny? Kinda makes sense. As soon as Evil's shorter ones are for sale I'm buying them.

·
CAMMED AND SLAMMED
06 TBSS
2,524 Posts
I'm having the same problem with the upper DJM arm bolts backing out causing bumping and when I break my truck would swerve. After the first time the bolt came completely out and the arm almost hit my header on pass side. Now after a new bolt..extra loc tite and a good snug hit it's coming off once again!! Why is it doing this??

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,402 Posts
djm a arms i torque at
100 miles
500 miles
1000 miles
then each oil change ive never had a probem.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember wailin' on those mofos but as soon as I have a chance I'm gonna jack it up and poke around.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does it do it when the brakes are pressed? I just found my clunk a few days ago. My caliper bracket shims that the pads sit in had busted tabs allowing the pads to slap the rotor going over bumps.
I'm gonna kinda steal this thread for a moment....cause this sounds like what is happening to me as well. Only I'm not lowered or anything.

I put some ceramic pads on the fronts only a while back. Mine has a rattle that only happens over the right kind of bumps and goes away when the brakes are applied. Does this sound like the caliper bracket shims have the busted tabs too?

·
Registered
TBSS Black 2006
532 Posts
I'm gonna kinda steal this thread for a moment....cause this sounds like what is happening to me as well. Only I'm not lowered or anything.

I put some ceramic pads on the fronts only a while back. Mine has a rattle that only happens over the right kind of bumps and goes away when the brakes are applied. Does this sound like the caliper bracket shims have the busted tabs too?
Def a good possibility!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In an unrelated matter or maybe related I'm doing my rotors and pads next week, anybody have a part number on the tabs just in case?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got pads in the mail today didn't open the box, last set of brakes I did was a few months ago but I don't remember if it had them or I reused them. Only time I used Napa pads, they fell apart... material came off the backing. Never again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts