Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
TrailBlazerSS
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my headers put on about a week ago. The guy that did it said he had to make 45 degree boots for two passenger side plugs because they were too close to the header.
the driver side is fine, but i noticed sparks shooting out on start up when i was washing my truck tonight

any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts

·
Registered
TrailBlazerSS
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Im actually calling off work tomorrow to get the exhaust put on, i bought a borla race series 12" :cheers1:
i hope my truck doesnt burn down.

where is the starter located? and seeing as that i have been drivin it like that for over a week, will it be an easy fix?

·
Premium Member
TBSS 3SS
1,991 Posts
Holy crap batman. You need to fix that asap. I would start with the plug wires he made.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,012 Posts
just follow the sparks... starter is on pass side of the motor, right above the oil pan...

look around where the wiring connects to the starter, you will find it.
:iamwithstupid:

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
4,146 Posts
Could be that the postive battery cable is loose on the starter terminal and thats the arcing from the loose connection.

I hope you don't have a fuel leak :doh:

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Could be that the postive battery cable is loose on the starter terminal and thats the arcing from the loose connection.

I hope you don't have a fuel leak :doh:
I wouldn't during running and it probably wouldn't turn over very well by the starter.

Sparks is most always bad plugs/wires.

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
4,146 Posts
I wouldn't during running and it probably wouldn't turn over very well by the starter.

Sparks is most always bad plugs/wires.
Did you even watch the video? The spark happened during cranking and went away after it was running and the starter disengauged. :doh:

Aside from those facts, when have you seen a high volt low amp arc flash like that? What you saw there was a low volt high amp arc.

·
Slow Ass Tbss
TrailblazerSS
2,834 Posts
Take off the passenger front wheel and you will need a ujoint socket extension. When my tranny was replaced they did not tighten the lead from the starter and it welded the nut on the terminal and i had to get a new starter.

·
Registered
TrailBlazerSS
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
whomever put your shit together... has something hitting one of the studs on the starter... the sparks you are seeing is it being grounded against something it shouldnt be touching..

kind of like putting a screwdriver across both terminals of the battery...

get it fixed asap before you do damage.
Cookie for you! haha
It turns out it was the starter shield touching the positive of the starter. There was absolutely no room to work with, but managed to get under and move it about a half inch away. all good now, starts alot smoother too. Glad i got it figured out before my tune tomorow.
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Did you even watch the video? The spark happened during cranking and went away after it was running and the starter disengauged. :doh:

Aside from those facts, when have you seen a high volt low amp arc flash like that? What you saw there was a low volt high amp arc.
I just watched it, didn't realize it was a video until now.

But...I have never seen a low voltage arc like that. I'm surprised it was starting as well as it was. I guess weirder stuff than this happens though, glad he figured it out before the thing caught fire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts