Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My situation is a bit different because I wired up a push button start in my TBSS so i don't really turn the key to start the truck. I turn the key to the on position then push the button to start the truck.

Anyhow this morning i went to start the truck, pushed the button and got one single click and no start. I turned the key back down then back to the on position, pushed the button and it fired up. Didn't think anything of it. I drove 25 minutes to my destination then when i went to leave i went to fire up the truck and nothing. Got the one single click everytime i hit the button. The click was coming from the engine compartment so i'm guessing its the starter clicking. Now my battery is showing 12.1 volts so i don't think it is the battery. But I am unsure if it could still be the ignition switch being that I have the push button? If it is definitely the starter should i get an OEM one (GREG - maybe you can PM me a price shipped to 12062) unless you guys recommend something different? I saw this one posted on here in a thread. Any thoughts on it?

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/5096/10002/-1?CT=999

thanks guys

·
Registered
'06 Trailblazer SS
700 Posts
I used to have this same problem in my truck and it turned out the terminals on the stater were a little loose so I tightened them up and haven't had the issue since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG INFUSE 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to have this same problem in my truck and it turned out the terminals on the stater were a little loose so I tightened them up and haven't had the issue since.

That would be great if that's all it turned out to be but I'm never that fortunate lol. But i did plan on jacking up the truck tomorrow and getting under there and taking a look and probably attempting to whack the starter a couple times as well to see if I can get her going. Gotta find the starter first though.....where exactly is it? Do I just look up into the engine compartment from below near the oil pan?

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone else help me to determine that it's definitely a faulty starter?

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,352 Posts
You've deviated from stock, so it's going to be a hard call for help. Depends on how you wired in your push button starter.:popcorn3:

·
Registered
'06 Trailblazer SS
700 Posts
That would be great if that's all it turned out to be but I'm never that fortunate lol. But i did plan on jacking up the truck tomorrow and getting under there and taking a look and probably attempting to whack the starter a couple times as well to see if I can get her going. Gotta find the starter first though.....where exactly is it? Do I just look up into the engine compartment from below near the oil pan?
If after you tap it with a hammer it starts you more than likely have either a loose connection or a bad starter solenoid. I don't know if you can just replace the solenoid or if you have replace the whole stater though. Also, its a bitch to get to the starter because the exhaust and trans cooler lines are in the way.

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im pretty sure I would have to replace the whole starter. Im gonna see how much i can find a new OEM one for before i decide to go the aftermarket route.

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
TrailblazerSS
9,572 Posts
Sounds more like a bad connection to me but could be starter, battery, or push button starter mechanism you installed.

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So today after letting the truck sit for a whole day i said the hell with it let me try my luck. I tried to start her the first time and got the same click, then all the sudden a little spurt like the truck wanted to come back to life. Let go, turned down the key and tried once more and the truck turned on! I turned it on and then off at least 5 more times since without any problems. Now im stumped. Im thinking it might be a bad connection at this point. Hopefully it doesn't leave me stranded and later this week ill try to get under it and look at the connections on the starter to make sure they are ok.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
Could be the ignition switch...

So today after letting the truck sit for a whole day i said the hell with it let me try my luck. I tried to start her the first time and got the same click, then all the sudden a little spurt like the truck wanted to come back to life. Let go, turned down the key and tried once more and the truck turned on! I turned it on and then off at least 5 more times since without any problems. Now im stumped. Im thinking it might be a bad connection at this point. Hopefully it doesn't leave me stranded and later this week ill try to get under it and look at the connections on the starter to make sure they are ok.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
the ignition switch is credited with all kinds of witch-craft on our trucks, as well as many other GM vehichles... From no crank, to no power at all... to lighting up the dashboard like a christmas tree....

It controls all electrical power.... It's a cheap part that's easy to replace to rule out other issues...

·
Registered
'06 Trailblazer SS
700 Posts
My truck did this exact same thing and like I said it turned out to be loose connections. It would work flawlessly for a while and then start its shenanigans again. You definitely need to check your connections.

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My truck did this exact same thing and like I said it turned out to be loose connections. It would work flawlessly for a while and then start its shenanigans again. You definitely need to check your connections.
Alright cool that is good to know. Are the connections easy to get to if I put the truck up on jackstands and get underneath it? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
'06 Trailblazer SS
700 Posts
Alright cool that is good to know. Are the connections easy to get to if I put the truck up on jackstands and get underneath it? Thanks for your help
Its do-able with jackstands but it would be much easier with a lift because its a tight fit up in there. I actually completely unbolted the starter because i couldn't figure out a way to get to the connections without doing so.

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE:

So I Tested the battery and checked the starter and its connections and everything checks out. The truck has been fine ever since that day it started back up and hasn't given me anymore problems trying to start. But now today all the sudden my AC stopped blowing cold. It's not blowing hot just blowing as if the snowflake/ac button wasn't pushed in. I read somewhere else that this could be an ignition switch related problem as well? Or is it my refrigerant because I have 69k on my 2006 now and it hasn't been recharged. I only use the AC on the auto setting though and only for about half of the year here in NY. Any ideas what this issue is all about now?

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:

So I Tested the battery and checked the starter and its connections and everything checks out. The truck has been fine ever since that day it started back up and hasn't given me anymore problems trying to start. But now today all the sudden my AC stopped blowing cold. It's not blowing hot just blowing as if the snowflake/ac button wasn't pushed in. I read somewhere else that this could be an ignition switch related problem as well? Or is it my refrigerant because I have 69k on my 2006 now and it hasn't been recharged. I only use the AC on the auto setting though and only for about half of the year here in NY. Any ideas what this issue is all about now?
UPDATE AGAIN,

went back out after a few hours and turned on the truck on and low and behold I had AC again. Which leads me to believe it's the ignition switch now since ive read others had this problem too and this would tie into the original problem of the truck failing to start. What do you guys think, someone chime in please.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
UPDATE AGAIN,

went back out after a few hours and turned on the truck on and low and behold I had AC again. Which leads me to believe it's the ignition switch now since ive read others had this problem too and this would tie into the original problem of the truck failing to start. What do you guys think, someone chime in please.
Change the switch!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts