Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS AWD
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the discussions revolving around FWI intakes being too exposed to standing water and the CAI's being exposed to underhood temps, is there a middle of the road option that mounts the filter higher up in the fender but out of the engine compartment?

Something that might use a K&N universal conical filter? Just wondering for when my warranty is up!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,350 Posts
I used a New Era intake, which I don't think is even made anymore. Added a few pieces from Advance Auto parts. There's too many clamps for the relatively short tubes and looks "tuner car like" but I don't care. I got good #'s from it by FAST. And the street performance is excellent as far as I can tell. Brandon is doing my exhaust next week so he can chime in on how the truck feels. The only time I had to drive through water it was about a foot deep and I went really slow. Had NO choice. I pulled a little water in but, I just ripped it apart and cleaned the filter. It was time anyway. The full on FWI is really the way to go. Just leave extra time in case there are flood areas on you daily drive.:yay2:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS AWD
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! Has anyone thought of using one of these to help with the water ingestion or do they simply not do the job? It's made by AEM...

·
Registered
07 TBSS
383 Posts
That looks like a good idea.

·
Registered
2008 Saab 97x Aero
906 Posts
Interested in thus too... Cus I have the pieces just need to put together... sayvur on long road trip and its raining... Does the constant water from the tires interfer with it??

·
Boost Addict...
Trailblazer SS
2,396 Posts
Maybe the old ieatsrt8 X intake. It had an elbow the put the filter right behind the grill opening if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea Brian it does, during the time of my tuning at pcmforless. Alvin had said that the only problem with these intakes (ieatsrt8 x) is that they sit on top of the washer tank. Which causes them to heat up as the motor heats up and gets the washer tank hot.:2cents:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
284 Posts
suscribed! Really want to make my own kit....

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
441 Posts
^ those things are a waist of money just buy a hydro shield or buy a short ram if your that worried about it. im sure u would really need to be in some deep water to actually hrydolock. i had a cai on my 07 si and live in seattle it rains all the time and never had any issues until i lowered it to much and had to clut the liner out and even then a few times the car just went into limp mode nothing ever happened.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,293 Posts
Too bad the tbss isn't like the pickups where they draw air right from the wheel fender/well area. My old sierra's outlaw intake had pretty decent iat's from that spot which was almost stock looking.

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS 2WD
303 Posts
I have my right front headlight hollowed out with a dremel and the PCM for less 4'' standard intake, when I'm hooked up to HPTuners and scanning, my intake temps are only a few degrees over ambient. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS AWD
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That will probably be the route I will take. I had found that "dremel" method somewhere before and thought that hole could also be a little bigger (so to speak).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.