Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tranny finally crapped out at 218k (almost on the button). I'd prefer to just go ahead and get it replaced as part of an overall build, but it will be a little while before I get that ironed out. I may want to go ahead and get the tranny taken care of now, and deal with the motor later, so I'm looking to see if anybody has a recommendation for a good shop to install an RPM or FLT transmission. RPM lists Mongillo Motors on their website. I have spoken to them about a complete build, but they seem to have disappeared lately - no quote and no responses to messages, so I'm thinking they're not going to work out. Any recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So did you put that tvs on your stock 218k motor ?
I remember the thread a few weeks back

Stay away from mongillo, and jenetties

Good luck
No. The tranny crapping out was just dumb luck, and pretty well past due. On the up side, it brings the build to the top. As of a few minutes ago, I've spoken to Tune Time and Slowhawk to get quotes for a build with new tranny. Mongillo is off my list at this point since they can't return a call.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
Tune Time is a much better choice. They also have an AWD dyno in house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
Tune Time is one of the few shops that's specialized in the TBSS since day 1. My truck was built at PCM who does some of the best work with the best customer service as I've seen out there. So aside from driving 13 hours to NC, Tune Time is your closest option. Slowhawk is a decent shop, but this is not their specialty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ssam98

·
needs moar powa
1,185 Posts
Slow hawk has done a lot of Tbss trucks , he's very knowledgable in them and all ls motors . He's done work for me before on other vehicles , but he's an asshole I'll never give him another dime of my money.

He also only has a rwd dyno

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,747 Posts
Read the title wrong.

Call Mark Carlyle-PM me I'll give you his number.
Have IPS do it. They have done there fair share of TBSS work ;).
And they have an AWD dyno along with access to one of the best LS tuners around.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks. Who is IPS?

Edit: Nevermind. I see in your signature. I'll keep them in mind but I'd like to use someone relatively local to me if I can. I'm in CT.

·
needs moar powa
1,185 Posts
Performabuilt isn't a far drive, but it's reviews are mixed.

call slow hawk yourself and get your Own opinion , his work is good I can say that- or it used to be years ago anyways

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I spoke to Slowhawk and got a quote. I'm waiting on a quote from Tunetime. I left a message for Race Proven.

·
needs moar powa
1,185 Posts
Are you doing just the trans or having other work done aswell ?

When I got my quote I asked slow hawk about tuning my truck and he simple told me he wouldn't tune a ls7 maf . Told me I didn't need it.

I'm pretty sure he was just being lazy and would rather copy another tune he already had rather then start a new tune from scratch.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He definitely has some very specific ideas about what works and what doesn't. One of them is no cats (even high flow/race cats) in a high performance build because he says he's seen them cause problems too many times as the element moves in them causing a restriction (if I'm recalling what he said correctly). I have never heard this and would otherwise be inclined to use cats because I prefer it in a daily driver. I only had one phone conversation with him. Not the greatest bedside manner, but not an asshole either. Jury's out on what he'd be like to work with through a build. By contrast, Tunetime is very friendly and responsive...but I haven't seen their quote yet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts