Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer..this is not guaranteed, and whoever performs this takes full responsibility for their workmanship and execution. If you cannot take full responsibility, stop reading and find another solution.

So, first off if youre like me, and can't wait for a bushingfix.com order for a 25 dollar part..you need to know how to do this as safely as possible because you could roll over yourself otherwise..I suggest no less than 2 people..someone will need to be in the truck, ebrake pulled, and on the brake, and adjusting the shifter level so you can get it reattached enough to shift it..do not grab the linkage on the tranny it is very hot if the trucks been running..fully forward is the park position, just as it is on the shifter..the linkage is located on the driver side even with the front door. The linkage will hold on momentarily for a shift or two so I suggest getting into drive to get home....you'll need to shut the truck off in drive obviously, so chock tires and pull your ebrake.

What you'll need..

Dremel and cut off wheel or drill and 5/16 drill bit
7/16 open end wrench
15mm socket or wrench
10mm
M6 or 1/4 bolt and according nut..roughly 1.5" long 1$
Loctite 2$
5/32 vacuum hose 2$
Hinge pin bushing assortment (38373 advance auto parts) 6$
C clamp or vice

I didn't have a cutoff wheel so I had to drill, which meant pulling the level arm out...put your 7/16 open end between the tranny and arm, otherwise cranking off the 15mm nut will shift the truck to 1, and possible do damage in trying to break it free.

Using a vice or c clamp to hold the arm to something secure, drill out the old piece...this is a pita so take your time.

Reinstall the arm into the truck

Find the hinge bushing that fits into the shifter cable snuggly.

Take the vacuum hose and screw your bolt into it all the way then slide the bushing to the bolt head. Trim excess tubing off bolt

Install into cable and into the arm. Use loctite or double up nuts or both. Make sure the cable can move up and down with minimal resistance.

Put truck into acc, not running, and apply brake and shift through all gears a few times to ensure no binding and dash selector corresponds with shifter position.

All should be working correctly now.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts