Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to the GF's house after work tonight, as I was arriving I noticed what I'm guessing is second gear slipping. Headed up hill from a stop, RPM spiked for about 2 seconds, I think during the 1-2 shift, although it could have been the 3-4. It was something I noticed just as I was arriving and I didn't have time to try and replicate/isolate the problem tonight. I was moving at low speed, and I'm expecting it's a second gear issue, but I'll confirm in the morning.

This is a new development, but not unexpected and I can't really complain since I have over 217k on the original tranny. Assuming that it is indeed slipping, based on some quick reading it seems like a rebuild is really the only option. My question is, how long can I reasonably expect the truck to go before the tranny shits the bed completely. If I take off work tomorrow, I have about a 40 mile drive home, including a stretch up and over the mountain. Any tips for making it there under my own power? Over/under on getting there? Thanks.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Quick bump to see if anybody has any tips before I try the drive home. Thanks.

ETA: I drove the truck around for 15 minutes or so this morning and couldn't reproduce the issue. The vehicle was up to temp but probably not as hot as yesterday night. The tranny fluid level is good and the fluid doesn't smell burnt. Color is OK bit a little bit darker than normal. There is a rattling noise, almost like a valve tapping or a ratcheting sound, in park and neutral that is either new or I never noticed before (I think new).

·
Mattmikemark
2006 Trailblazer SS
5,366 Posts
When mine went, it wouldn't go into 4th, and started slipping while in second really really bad. I was 100 miles from home and babied it until it got into 3rd, and put the shifter in 3rd so it could lock up the converter. I assumed it was the 2-4 band and replaced it with a RPM LVL 6.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I made it home. It's slipping on the 2-3 shift as well as in reverse. It slips a little, not a lot, but I also didn't get on it. Definitely noisier than it should be too. Getting the Impala out of hibernation...

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Noise is not good. May be converter fins eating themselves up, or something inside trans breaking down. (Sprag is common to self destruct on our trannys) Either way park it to avoid further damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts