Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Warning: Long winded post about a not so exciting rebuild.

This TBSS died way too soon. Not even 100k on the clock and it was parked in a tree covered backyard up in north Jersey as the previous owners moved to Florida. After a year and a half I guess they decided that they weren't going to fix it so it was tossed on Craigslist.

Ironically I just tried to buy one the week before that was only a few miles from this one that had a bad trans, but after talking back in forth with the owner and even negotiating a price, they dropped off the face of the earth the morning I was supposed to go pick it up.

Anyway, after speaking with one of the owners about this truck, it was apparently being driven by his wife when it suddenly stopped running. That's all he was really able to tell me. I can only assume it was looked at by somebody after it broke since the #3 and #5 plugs and wires were missing when I inspected it, but all he could tell me is that it needed an engine.

I was hopeful that it was a spun bearing and that it had locked up and that a new rotating assembly would take care of it. Worst case scenario being that it needed a complete drop out or that I would have to start from scratch and build an engine myself.

8:11:15

After checking the truck out for a good 30-40 mins, including scanning for codes, running an AutoCheck and just checking out everything I could in a dirt driveway on a scattered shower morning, I decided to buy it.

Took a little while to load it but once I had it strapped down it was only 2 hours away from its new home. Once I got it unloaded, I knew the block was f***ed, as there was a puddle of oil on the trailer as well as the ground under the engine. Sure enough, once I had it on the lift I could see there was a chunk of aluminum that wasn't in the right spot.

8:12:15

The following day I went and started cleaning out the interior as the cup holders, center console and glovebox still had assorted junk, change and gunk build up from years of use. I then moved on to removing some stuff under the hood, the battery was stone dead since the key had been left on and the trans in neutral for probably 18 months, the fan, shroud and air cleaner and last but not least the starter so I could get a better view of the block.

Not that it was any surprise, but it was clear to see the hole in the block now.

Between 8:13 and 8:17, I was a little busy with my first born coming into this world, so working on the truck wasn't high on the priority list. :D

I did however check into some history on the truck in terms of its options, I knew it was a 3SS but I wasn't sure what other available options there were vs. what this truck had, so after running the RPO's it's pretty much a fully loaded truck.

RYJ - COVERING,CARGO AREA,RETRACTABLE RETRACTABLE CARGO COVER
U42 - ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM REAR SEAT,SINGLE DISPLAY,REM CONTROL W/HEADPHONE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM
PCR - SUN, SOUND, AND ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE * POWER SUNROOF * BOSE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM * XM SATELLITE RADIO
UM8 - RADIO,AM/FM STEREO,SEEK/SCAN,CD,ETR,NAVIGATION,CLOCK STEREO
UQA - SPEAKER SYSTEM PREMIUM PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO PREMIUM SPKR SYSTEM
ASF - RESTRAINT ROOF SIDE, LH & RH, INFLATABLE LH & RH ROOF INFLATABLE RESTRAINT
K05 - HEATER,ENGINE BLOCK ENG BLK HTR

I think thats pretty much everything you could possibly add on top of the 3SS package and AWD.

8:18:15 - 8:21:15

I was able to pull together a few hours over the next few days to at least remove the engine and try to get a game plan together on how to get this thing back on the road.

Finally after removing the transmission and t-case in order to free the converter from the trans since separating the converter from the engine was not possible as it would not turn over to remove the bolts normally.

Removing the oil pan has already become its own challenge since the diff is seriously stuck to the pan, so I have that soaking in some PB Blaster, but for now I pulled the head on bank 2 in order to see what the pistons were doing or how much were left.

So far it looks like one piston bit the dust, but until I can get it all disassembled and check out the skirts, I wont know what direction Im going in terms of pistons, but thankfully the head was perfectly fine.

8:22:15

I had been searching for a good solid week to try and find a suitable replacement block, short block or even long block if the price was right. Today I checked out an '09 L76 5x,xxx mile short block that was previously disassembled for inspection and ended up taking it home with me, so now the real fun begins.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Well, at least you were aware of it needing a new engine. You might as well trash the old short block. Good time for a stroker kit, oil pickup tube mod and some better heads or have your old ones worked over.

~Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines~

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, at least you were aware of it needing a new engine. You might as well trash the old short block. Good time for a stroker kit, oil pickup tube mod and some better heads or have your old ones worked over.

yeah, to what extent I didn't know but I was comfortable with the best and worst case scenarios.

no reason to trash it, it will make a fine mock-up block for other projects in the future.

I don't need a stoker kit, I got the crank with the block and all the rods, just need to swap out the L76 truck pistons with some LS2 pistons and new rings.

Oil pick up tube for sure, going to be ordering that from PCM of NC along with a few other things.

Going to order the Melling high pressure oil pump as well.

Still thinking about the heads, ill figure that out at some point.

Reactions: CHEVY6000TBSS

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
What you gonna do about a cam? Talk to Matt on that.

Are you going to have the trans rebuilt and strengthened? A stall converter would be an excellent upgrade as well.

Not sure of all your plans, but good luck with getting it all back together.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
My diff was stuck also. Got a MAPP torch to heat up the pan area some and got it to suck PB blaster in then a 3 ft crowbar in from the front of the pan got it to move so I could walk it off with 2 crow bars. The road salt almost welds the damn things together.

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you gonna do about a cam? Talk to Matt on that.

Are you going to have the trans rebuilt and strengthened? A stall converter would be an excellent upgrade as well.

Not sure of all your plans, but good luck with getting it all back together.

I'm either going to leave it stock cam for now or perhaps search and see what other people have used. I'm not looking to go wild by any means.

I'm leaving the trans alone for now. I forgot to mention that when I dropped the pan I was very pleased to find no material in the fluid, on the bottom of the pan or on the magnet. If it blows up, Ill rebuild it at that point and upgrade the converter to a ProTorque or Circle D.

Thank you. Honestly my plans for now are to just get it running and make it a happy truck again. Years of daily driver abuse has taken its toll and I want it all straightened out before I start driving it. Monday I am going to start cleaning the engine compartment and frame, anything that that is crusty or dirty will be cleaned, anything that I can remove, media blast and powder coat will get just that. Im going to clean the entire frame and shoot it with POR-15. I've had to replace and repair power steering lines on a bunch of Trailblazers in the past, so I plan on replacing all the lines from the rack to the pump and the cooler, as well as replacing the cooler itself.

I've already got replacement Raybestos rotors and pads, and will be ordering the usual new belts, hoses, filters, going to do a new starter while im in there and Im contemplating replacing the radiator while I have it out too since its going on 8 years old and they don't last forever. Every fluid will be flushed and replaced as well, the only fluid still in the truck right now is the rear diff anyway.

My diff was stuck also. Got a MAPP torch to heat up the pan area some and got it to suck PB blaster in then a 3 ft crowbar in from the front of the pan got it to move so I could walk it off with 2 crow bars. The road salt almost welds the damn things together.
ok good to know. I did read something through a google search that this wasn't completely uncommon, I just can't believe how stuck it is. I went and searched AllData again after I took the bolts out just to see if there was one I missed somewhere. I'll be messing with it again on Monday, hopefully get the LS2 completely torn down and start cleaning.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
Not sure if you are familiar with the AWD, but pull apart the passenger side axle carrier that was bolted to the oil pan. Check the intermediate shaft splines for wear and see if the thrust washer retaining nubs are worn off inside the housing. If its good, re grease it well but might need replaced if the housing is trashed.

There are a few threads about it on here

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
That option list is pretty sweet too. They even opted for the block heater which you might be able to swap over if the coolant plug on the new block is the same. Mine was a 1SS so I had to add the interior and column/wheel swap to the resurrection budget.

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if you are familiar with the AWD, but pull apart the passenger side axle carrier that was bolted to the oil pan. Check the intermediate shaft splines for wear and see if the thrust washer retaining nubs are worn off inside the housing. If its good, re grease it well but might need replaced if the housing is trashed.

There are a few threads about it on here
I'm familiar with the system on the SyTys and I have seen a bunch of threads on there where the splines on the axles and the diff are virtually gone, this is not the case on mine. I looked right after I removed the CV's and everything looked great.

That option list is pretty sweet too. They even opted for the block heater which you might be able to swap over if the coolant plug on the new block is the same. Mine was a 1SS so I had to add the interior and column/wheel swap to the resurrection budget.
I was pleased with it, I knew I definitely wanted a 07+ 3SS, everything else is just a perk. I should be able to swap the block heater, the L76 and LS2 blocks are the same. If this was a G8 engine it would have the same pistons as well, but the truck pistons have valve reliefs in them and from what I have read will lower the compression slightly if I go with them.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
Splines have nothing to do with the crush washers spinning within the housing.

The 4 nubs wear off. I have mine apart right now at 76k miles and had to buy another one due to it.
IMAG2128.jpg

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
Should have just rebuilt it and put 4 welded beads where the nubs were.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
That's an option if you have a welder

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Splines have nothing to do with the crush washers spinning within the housing.

The 4 nubs wear off. I have mine apart right now at 76k miles and had to buy another one due to it.
View attachment 59890
ok thanks, ill take a look. Haven't come across anything regarding that yet, just saw tons of people with stripped out splines. :dunno:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
I'm a month ahead of you on the same rebuild process, so just trying to inform you of what I ran into. I have the GM part # for the trans and power steering lines if you need them. Mine were rusty too.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
ok thanks, ill take a look. Haven't come across anything regarding that yet, just saw tons of people with stripped out splines. :dunno:
Some build the nubs up and weld the new washer to the nubs. Fixes that issue. Like you stated, you'd need to have the welding equipment or an available welder to complete the task.

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I was finally able to get everything apart today. It was pretty scary inside, the #5 and #6 connecting rods were basically gone. Kind of impossible to tell what happened but the only other bearing with any signs of wear was #1 connecting rod. Everything else was just fine. Sadly, just about everything is shot, but thankfully the oil pan survived, the cam and 15 of 16 lifters are checked out.

I ordered the PCM of NC oil pickup tube this morning, as well as a Melling 10295 and some new fasteners.

Ill be ordering the rest of the parts I need this evening and hopefully start assembling in a week or so, but I'll be doing a lot of cleaning and prepping in the meantime.

Here's the first look after I got the pan off. Mind you had flipped the block over so I could get a little better leverage for getting the diff off.

doesn't look any better on this side

I don't think that rod belongs there...

crank can be cut, right? (sarcasm)

junk pile

pan cleaning #1

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,535 Posts
Weight savings!

1 - 20 of 144 Posts