Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
08 tbss 408 stroker
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering do I need a tune or is there another way to deal with this?
2008 long tube headers no cats shitty Flowmaster. Running rich heavy gas smell. Trying to figure out how to fix this any help appreciated.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
350 Posts
A tune is mandatory after header install.. especially w cat removal. The next time its started you should be on your way to a tuner.

·
Registered
08 tbss 408 stroker
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already had a dyno tune after header and flex fuel install and still the same. I just didn't want to get a retune

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,771 Posts
Since you don't want to do the right thing by getting it retuned, keep driving it like that and it will blow up.

Problem solved.

Reactions: FlomaxSS

·
Registered
08 tbss 408 stroker
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you don't want to do the right thing by getting it retuned, keep driving it like that and it will blow up.

Problem solved.
I'm not daily driving it, just around the block for a few min. Can't afford to break it anymore lol

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
350 Posts
Deleting the cats upsets the tune just as much as the addition of headers (maybe more so), could've avoided the re-tune if ya just ditched the cats w the header install, but that's spilt milk now. Don't you want to be optimized regardless? Get it re-tuned and enjoy the extra 5-10 hp and 1-2 mpg :oops:

Reactions: 1_Sik_Tbss

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS (LT Based)
5,973 Posts
I just went through the same thing with mine, about a week ago. I put some high flow cats on mine, and got it retuned. Problem solved.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
80 Posts
I just did long tube headers and deleted cats, I had no running problems or smell with mine but I did get it retuned. Is it gas or exaust you smell? Could it be an exaust leak or could you have a bad seal on your lift gate (I've seen the weather seal get torn up and it can stink up the interior good at 40 mph up) Or its possible that you may have damaged the evaporative hose from the gas tank to engine during the install. Just a couple ideas
Oh one more when you got your tune did you get just a power curve tune in other words they got rid of the fuel trims and fuel management for single programmed parameters ( met a guy with a tune like that on a vette ran awesome but smelled awful even with cats)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts