Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the Ron Davis "The Big One" Radiator with the twin Spal fans. Anyone who is currently running that setup, what kind of wiring harness and relays did you use to wire the fans up?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
523 Posts
Order the harness from Alvin it should hold up great.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
552 Posts
I have had 2 of there older harness melt up on me. Just make your own with standard bosh relays and some 10 gauge wire and you will be fine. There newer ones look better. I am just not buying a 3rd.

·
XPTBSS
TrailblazerSS
4,249 Posts
Just bought the Ron Davis "The Big One" Radiator with the twin Spal fans. Anyone who is currently running that setup, what kind of wiring harness and relays did you use to wire the fans up?

How much did that kit set you back? Report back some before and after operating temps. I want to make sure this thing is worth it before I fork out 1000$+ for the setup.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a sweet radiator. The core is almost twice as big as the simple engineering one. It has two cores instead of one. The best part is looking at the two high powered fans and perfectly designed fan shroud. Bi will post pictures later. Now I have to figure out how to wire the Ron Davis supplied relays to the PCM just like my old ls1 fan harness. A before example of temperature would be me sitting in traffic or stop and go driving with 100 degree weather I would sart to creep on the temp gauge until it ready 240! Yikes!! My theory is the fan shroud is not sealed correctly and it does not cover the entire area of the core. Add that to the physics that air travels the path of least resistance; the air was being pulled around the shroud opening instead of through the radiator. I also believe that the ls1 fans don't put enough CFM...,couple that with a bad shroud and 100 def heat and you have a recipe for disaster. These fans should solve everones cooling issues..especially the Maggie guys that has one or two extra heat exchangers blocking radiator flow

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you have to order it from Ron Davis. Give them a call and ask for the TBSS Big One. They'll know what your talking about. It costs 1200 dollars. The radiator has all the stock mounting points for everything. At the shop being installed now...will report operating temps when I get it back.

·
XPTBSS
TrailblazerSS
4,249 Posts
you have to order it from Ron Davis. Give them a call and ask for the TBSS Big One. They'll know what your talking about. It costs 1200 dollars. The radiator has all the stock mounting points for everything. At the shop being installed now...will report operating temps when I get it back.

yeah keep us updated on the cooling now. If there is a significant change I might have to bite the bullet on this one.

·
Registered
2008 Saab 97x Aero
906 Posts
Hurting in this tx heat too.. Dirty30 did the fans and pcmforless harness but honestly just from my ecperience its one good cruise from burning up too... Allen nelson well known in truck world is building me a 3 relay harness with little better relay location too... Nxt ill prob get this big one for extra help... I hate this shit why the fk do seasons get worse and worse over the yrs?:fist:

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
just ordered mine. cheaper than i thought ($1199.10 :D)
Again, please post some numbers when you get a chance. Would love to see that this cools the system that much better than the stock set-up.

And nobody has answered this yet....the fans were included right? I don't want any surprises when I get the money together.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts