Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to differentiate the two? Doesn't sound valvetrain related because it seems to be coming from the lower end of the drivers side. The original owner of the truck installed Kooks LT's so I figured there is really only 2 things it could be. Internal engine failure is starting (rod bearing possibly) or the gasket is leaking making it sound like rod knock. Only time you can really hear it is in drive-through's (sound bouncing off the walls) or when you get down near the drivers side tire. Will get a sound cilp up tomorrow when I get back to the house.....

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
5,208 Posts
Chances are, you are not going to be able to get a good enough quality clip of it for us to really determine what it is. Check the torque on the headers, or, try listening to the motor with a stethoscope.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chances are, you are not going to be able to get a good enough quality clip of it for us to really determine what it is. Check the torque on the headers, or, try listening to the motor with a stethoscope.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will re-torque the headers down this evening and see if that helps at all. If not, there isn't a whole lot else it could be (non-internal wise) correct?

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
5,208 Posts
It could be a lot of things man. To be honest, I had this HORRIBLE noise for over a year, and I swear it sounded like the truck was going to explode. I spent more time looking for it than I care to mention, only to find that the trans dipstick had moved and was hitting some bolts on the firewall :doh:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a service stabilitrack light on this morning as well.....not sure if that is related at all??

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
5,558 Posts
Check out this thread it may help you ..

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55250

Also, it can't hurt to post a sound clip there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site that may be able to give you insight and ideas of things you can look at or try to figure out what the issue is.

It could be a lot of things man. To be honest, I had this HORRIBLE noise for over a year, and I swear it sounded like the truck was going to explode. I spent more time looking for it than I care to mention, only to find that the trans dipstick had moved and was hitting some bolts on the firewall :doh:
We all have these moments...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Look at what gaskets they used on the headers. If they are the black ones that come with the headers swap them out for some factory steel ones.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at what gaskets they used on the headers. If they are the black ones that come with the headers swap them out for some factory steel ones.
Will do. I will get the video uploaded tomorrow as well to try to get some opinions on the sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts