Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought another TBSS (2006). The guy I bought it from had problems with the airbag not airing up completely and never could get the level stance he was after. After buying it, I drove it and the ride in the back was terrible and would bottom out on bigger bumps. So I ordered the stock height spring kit from the TBSS store. I drove afterwards and while the ride greatly improved (from the driver's seat), the ride is very stiff riding in the back and ir pretty rough. I initially had a 2008 TBSS and I don't remember it riding bad at all. In addition, when these bumps are hit, the front will "dart" a little and seems to have more of a "float" type feeling in the suspension.

So, I went out today and made some measurements (granted these are from sitting in my driveway) but here is what I came up with:

Driver front=32 3/4
Pass front=32 1/4
Drive rear=32 7/16
Pass rear=31 15/16

It looks like there is about a 1/2" lean from driver's side to pass side and about a 5/16" lean from front to back. The tires on it are 255/50R20.

-Is this normal (I never had a reason to measure my old TBSS)?
-What should I do to make it ride better in the rear?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
510 Posts
Airlift helper bags I'll see if I can get the part number. Did you get the stock height springs or the 31.5? Oh yeah I'm also right down the road from you about 45 minutes if you ever need any help with it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Airlift helper bags I'll see if I can get the part number. Did you get the stock height springs or the 31.5? Oh yeah I'm also right down the road from you about 45 minutes if you ever need any help with it.
So the helper bags will help with ride quality? I bought the stock height springs. Sweet, thanks for the offer

·
Hater
Duh
9,210 Posts
No you don't need helpers and no they won't improve your ride. You're at stock height. But they're a different spring rate probably. And all of these trucks lean. Helpers are generally for when towing. What shocks are you running?

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
Stock height springs are just the 31.5s with a spacer from Tony. Stupid question but can you see if both spacers are still in there? The rear springs should be very level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No you don't need helpers and no they won't improve your ride. You're at stock height. But they're a different spring rate probably. And all of these trucks lean. Helpers are generally for when towing. What shocks are you running?
Well, I thought they were mainly for towing. And the left to right lean I knew was a normal issue. But the front higher than the back was my main concern.

Stock height springs are just the 31.5s with a spacer from Tony. Stupid question but can you see if both spacers are still in there? The rear springs should be very level.

It was the stock height kit and the spacers were also installed, but those are the measurements on the truck. I haven't looked but the kit was literally just installed like 2 days ago and driven very little since. I'll look to see if the spacers are still in there but I don't see how they could come out with all the pressure that is on them

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Is your driveway level? It really needs to be level when you measure. If your front end is parked higher, I think your measurements are skewed a bit.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
Yeah the spacers wouldn't fall out once the shocks are bolted in. You didn't mention it, but are you running Belltechs all around too? What spacers in the front?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your driveway level? It really needs to be level when you measure. If your front end is parked higher, I think your measurements are skewed a bit.
That is a good possibility. But I can tell from tire to fender space just by looking that the front sits a little higher regardless of the actual measurement from the ground. I will try to find a more level area and measure again just to see if there is a difference.

Yeah the spacers wouldn't fall out once the shocks are bolted in. You didn't mention it, but are you running Belltechs all around too? What spacers in the front?

Honestly, I haven't even looked at the front as I haven't done anything to the front yet. But the back has belltechs that came with the spring conversion kit from the TBSS store. I'll check the front tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
If the front is bone stock, it will sit slightly higher than the rear even with the stock height spring kit. For me, the stock height kit actually dropped the rear about an inch and a half. You'll need Belltechs up front to drop it down and level it out with spacers. I would re-measure on level ground like Brandon said though.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, my first thought was that I needed the kit up front to get everything right. I'll try yo remeasure at some point today.

Reactions: KA47
1 - 11 of 11 Posts