Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts of running a stall on a stock trans? Oil control for motor is already addressed as is large tranny cooler. Thoughts on transmission survival probability? If limited mods are critical for longevity of the trans (without needing to do a full build) what would those be. Just not looking to spend 3-4k on a built trans at this time.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
354 Posts
It sounds as though your priority is to avoid buying a built trans right now so don't do stall on a stock 4L70. The stall by itself is a half-baked potato without sonnax servo upgrades anyway and then you really will break that thing in no time. The difference in strength and performance between 4L70 and built 4L70 is night and day. Adding the cooler is a big help to keep the stock trans/stock tc alive, but will not prevent destruction of a stock trans w higher stall tc. Most guys on here that run/ have ran a stall on stock trans are not interested in making their trans last... They really just want a built trans or 4L80 anyway, get-off on blowing up a stock 4L70 and need an excuse to tell their wife why they need to dump 4k on a new trans. Its just all in where your priorities lie.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran a yank 3200 on a stock trans with a sonnax shift kit in it for over 20k with no issues. Only reason I pulled it was I got a deal on an FLT level 7 from a friend.
I honestly believe this could be done the way I drive it...pretty easy. Truck doesn't make a ton of power as is.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Way too much truth in this post... Hope my wife isn't reading over my shoulder. Actually we both had a good laugh at how accurate this has been for my "SS" experience. My trans was hurt when I got it, and the itch to have fun is putting tremendous odds against my trans lasting until do get a fully built one. Must learn/maintain restraint!

-op IMO, get it done right the first time if ya can. Sounds like ya have the restraint down. Patience pays, impulsiveness costs.
Maybe I should have clarified....this is my 3rd TBSS. Back in 07' I was one of the TBSSOWNERS OGs, I had an NA AWD that went low 12s. The first modification was a built RPM level 5 (the best they had then) transmission. So I know the philosophy of why it needs to be done...but now I'm much older and the goal isn't racing.

The question was more Xs and Os than philosophy...who has a stock trans with stall...how did you drive it and how long did it last. In theory, with a good cooler and judicious use of the gas pedal, it really shouldn't add significant strain...but I was looking for real world data.

Thanks again everyone and Happy Thanksgiving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts