Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a new armrest for my Saab 9-7x aero. But I decided to take apart my armrest and discovered it looks pretty easy to replace the leather material. It's just pulled tight and stapled to the underside of the lid.

So I'm wondering if it would cost less, the same, or more to have an upholster shop to do a nicer leather and add a bit more padding while it's apart.

Once the leather is pulled off I'm sure the upholster can just copy the outline of the existing leather and cut any new material really quick an have it sewn together very quick. Cant imagine more than 15 minutes to make the new cover.

Putting it back on is a cinch if you have a pneumatic powered staple gun to blast the staples back into the plastic quickly. I'm sure a hand powered good one would work also.

Anyone done this? Tried to do it? What material did you use?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,569 Posts
I don't know what the cost would be but check out Dallassteeringwheel.com. I've heard really good things about them.

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what the cost would be but check out Dallassteeringwheel.com. I've heard really good things about them.
I was going to have some one local do it if I decided to have it done.

Heck, I might even try stitching it together myself if my Stepmoms sewing machine can punch through the material I pick. Or go old school an get a leather punch and punch the holes manually with a hammer and hand stitch it together! Who said Home Ec. class didn't teach people nothing, it taught me how to sew! lol...

·
moar cowbell
Trailblazer
6,426 Posts
It's just as easy as you said...

I don't have leather but I found matching seat fabric and did mine myself. I just used an upholstery glue, no staples

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is pretty cool! Okay, I'll have to stop at the upholstery shop an see how much they want for them to do it. Or see how much the material costs to do it myself. This could be fun. And I"m defiantly adding more padding for my elbow!! lol...

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropped off my armrest at the upholster today. To install matching material an new thread color an better padding it's only $75 bucks. Instead of spending $100 for a new oem armrest.
Could have got leather but he didn't have a color I liked in stock. If he did it was only $125. So my vinyl pleather armrest should be ready next week.

Reactions: SSooner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts