Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hauling groceries and ass
TrailblazerSS
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help with Replacing bose amp to run speakers and aftermarket head unit

I have an 06 TBSS non NAV Bose 6 disc system. I want to replace the factory amp(to run door speakers) and replace the head unit with an after market one.
I just bought all the door speakers, 4 channel amp, and head unit. What steps/parts do I need to accomplish this? I do not care for Onstar or Chimes.
Tried searching around here and google with not much luck. I appreciate any advice.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,619 Posts
Check on www.axxessinterface.com for your specific harness but I the only harnesses I can find are ones that retain Onstar/chimes/Retained Accessory Power (RAP). I know in the past there was a basic harness for our trucks that got rid of Onstar & chimes but you also lost RAP. So anytime you turned the engine off the radio would turn off, unlike stock where the accessories remain active for 15 mins. Not sure if that makes a difference to you. But I'm not finding a basic harness, only the full shabang.

But the Metra Axxess harness you could get is the GMOS100 which keeps Onstar/Chimes/RAP and now includes built-in steering wheels controls. That used to be like a $30 add-on module.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Best advice I can give you is as follows:

install new HU with no module at all except for steering wheel controls if you have them (Metra Axxess Steering wheel control interface is top notch)

Install amp in cubby hole. Run RCA's from HU to amp, and run speaker wire from amp to speaker OUTPUTs at BLOSE amp in rear cubby hole. This way you use stock speaker wire from Bose amp to speakers.

·
TrailblazerSS
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best advice I can give you is as follows:

install new HU with no module at all except for steering wheel controls if you have them (Metra Axxess Steering wheel control interface is top notch)

Install amp in cubby hole. Run RCA's from HU to amp, and run speaker wire from amp to speaker OUTPUTs at BLOSE amp in rear cubby hole. This way you use stock speaker wire from Bose amp to speakers.

That's basically what I was thinking but what about RAP and my 12V to power the headunit?

·
TrailblazerSS
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keeping the Retained Accy Power(radio stays on till doors are opened)
Also will the Tire sensors still work?
Thanks for the help

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Just use the wires in the dash for the RAP and 12v. The one thing you will have to run is the remote turn on wire. I never found the remote turn on in the factory amp. I think it must use voltage sensing on the wires coming from the head unit to trigger the amp, or its always on for the stupid chimes/onstar. Good luck with the install.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
There is a wire in factory amp harness for turn on, but it will only work with some amps. I believe it was like 5.5 volts or something low like that. It worked with an older kicker amp i had, but wouldn't work with my new stuff.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
699 Posts
Just use the wires in the dash for the RAP and 12v. The one thing you will have to run is the remote turn on wire. I never found the remote turn on in the factory amp. I think it must use voltage sensing on the wires coming from the head unit to trigger the amp, or its always on for the stupid chimes/onstar. Good luck with the install.
Don't mean to hijack, there is nothing left of my stock stereo(speakers or radio) if all I want to keep is RAPorgan I just tap for 12v acc and grnd or do I need to keep the module in there? As most of u know we don't have a lot of room back there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.