Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
08 RJT 3SS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
removing paint from air ducts

hey guys and girls. I got my TBSS a couple of months ago and somebody had already painted the air ducts flat black, It was a crappy tape job they did and i'd like to get it all cleaned up and chrome again without messing up my RJT. Is there something safe i could use that will remore spray paint but not hurt the clearcoat paint on the truck?

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
I would imagine they roughed up the chrome finish to allow the paint to adhere. I wish you luck but I'm going to bet the chrome finish is toast.

·
Supra collector
TrailblazerSS
216 Posts
take the brake ducts off the bumper,hose them down with aircraft paint stripper,available in aerosol can at most auto parts stores, throw plastic trash bag over them for 20-30 minutes, rinse off with water hose ,repeat if any stubborn spots are still remaining.

·
Registered
2008 Saab 97x Aero
906 Posts
^^^ that shit works I had some lense tint on my silvy and it knocked it out like it was never there!! Glad ur goimg black chrome!! I think the black always looks like its missing part of bumper! Mav man has carbon fiber ones those would look gnarly with ur color!

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Removing raint from rair ructs? Lol.

·
Registered
08 RJT 3SS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rut ro shaggy. I saw that after I posted it. But didn't bother to fix it.

·
Registered
Silverado
187 Posts
You can get some lacquer thinner and rub the flat black paint off as long as it doesn't have hardener in it. Works pretty good.

·
'07 Trailblazer SS
591 Posts
take the brake ducts off the bumper,hose them down with aircraft paint stripper,available in aerosol can at most auto parts stores, throw plastic trash bag over them for 20-30 minutes, rinse off with water hose ,repeat if any stubborn spots are still remaining.
Even on plastic? I've used aircraft stripper to take the powdercoating off of my nitrous bottle before.......I figured that stuff would probably eat plastic.

·
Supra collector
TrailblazerSS
216 Posts
Even on plastic? I've used aircraft stripper to take the powdercoating off of my nitrous bottle before.......I figured that stuff would probably eat plastic.
The brake ducts have hard chrome, not spray chrome,so you will not hurt the chrome. As to using stripper on plastics, it depends on the type of plastic and how long the stripper stays on, most TPO plastics will be fine, it will melt surface of ABS plastic,but it can still be sanded smooth and refinished

1 - 10 of 10 Posts