Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a relay that I plugged into my HID Ballast and no DRL Killer. When I shift my car into gear and the DRLs kick in. The ballast should be getting the full power correct?

·
Death Machine
1,410 Posts
Relay only helps protect the OEM headlight harness from getting the shock of the ballast voltage at initial lamp turn on by using the battery rather than going through the headlight harness

Relay has nothing to do with the DRL's... and I would suggest disabling the DRL's or do the capacitor modification to get 100% voltage to the DRL circuit

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,980 Posts
Relay only helps protect the OEM headlight harness from getting the shock of the ballast voltage at initial lamp turn on by using the battery rather than going through the headlight harness

Relay has nothing to do with the DRL's... and I would suggest disabling the DRL's or do the capacitor modification to get 100% voltage to the DRL circuit
link or info on said "capacitor modification"?

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
How did you wire the relay? You will get full voltage if the relay is wired correctly. You have to use the factory headlight wire as the "trigger" wire of the relay. That would be pin 85 and 86 to Ground or vice versa.

·
Death Machine
1,410 Posts
Did you just use the module you bought or did you install the module and a relay? If you didn't install a relay that hooks up to the battery, then you are not getting full voltage.
The Relay harness and the DRL's are two totally separate deals..

DRL's run at 70% voltage... to keep from frying the ballasts you either have to use a DRL killer to not have DRL's or use a Capacitor (as stated above) to run the DRL's at 100% voltage..

The Relay harness is only used to protect the stock OEM 22 gauge headlight wiring from frying overtime. The relay transfers the initial powerup of the ballasts through the Battery and into the headlight wiring to trigger the lamps..

without the Relay.. the initial powerup just goes right through the headlight circuit and can cause heat issues down the road as the small wires cannot take the repeated jolt of the ballasts powering up..

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
All that is needed to connect HID's is a 40 amp SPST relay. One relay will run both left and right light. Connect the following to the relay:

Pin 85 - ground
Pin 86 - positive wire from vehicle headlight harness (Left or right)
Pin 30 - battery - use a 40 amp fuse
Pin 87 - positive wire to HID kit (left and right)
Connect ground wire of HID kit to ground. Actually, connect all your grounds to the same location.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK.. another relay question.. My wife liked the HIDs that she wanted me to install in her van. So she has a Kia Sedona that has an H11b bulb which is already running at 55w. I am not electrically savvy, so I am figuring since the ballast are 35w and the OEM wiring is running 55w it should be able to handle the HIDs without a relay. Correct?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
OK.. another relay question.. My wife liked the HIDs that she wanted me to install in her van. So she has a Kia Sedona that has an H11b bulb which is already running at 55w. I am not electrically savvy, so I am figuring since the ballast are 35w and the OEM wiring is running 55w it should be able to handle the HIDs without a relay. Correct?

Thanks
You should run a relay because of the risk of burning up the factory wiring and causing a fire. The factory wiring isn't made for hig current HID's. Play it safe and add a relay with appropriate wiring. You might be fine with the factory wiring but why take the risk of catching your vehicle on fire. Just my 2 cents worth...

·
Premium Member
TBSS 3SS
1,991 Posts
Keep your language simple and plain so us edumucated folks can understand.

We all knew what you meant.

Sent from Galaxy SS via a cool tapatalk app.

·
Some PCM of NC bolton's
9,639 Posts
This is correct BUT at start up the HID's will draw much more. There is a surge of juice being used when the lights are first turned on and will cause your factory wiring to burn up.
Have you done a power draw on them???? 35w=3.9A 55w=4.6A i'de be willing to bet that the headlights are on a 10 fuse so unless startup pulls more than 120 watts I'de say it's ok. Since the fuse is designed to blow be for any harm to the wires. 5A= 60w:2cents:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.