Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost ready to install my new motor and the one concern I have is should I stay with dexcool or switch over to the green coolant!?!? I know for a fact GM had major issues the past with the red coolant eating thru intake gaskets and sluging up in the overflow. ie coolant would cross over the 2 heads via the intake. As we know the LS does not have that coolant crossover via thru the intake.

What's ur guys opinion on this?

I know booth coolants work well I'm just looking down the road when that black slug starts to pop up in the reservoir...

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
211 Posts
GM engine cooling parts (water pump t-stats etc.) are designed to be used with dex coolant. Standard green coolant doesn't lubricate as well and wrecks the sealants and gaskets on those parts. So I've read! You don't see too many problems with dex unless oil is mixed with it that's when it sludges up.

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
I'm surprised that there aren't more responses. Perhaps it's the title?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
550 Posts
GM engine cooling parts (water pump t-stats etc.) are designed to be used with dex coolant. Standard green coolant doesn't lubricate as well and wrecks the sealants and gaskets on those parts. So I've read! You don't see too many problems with dex unless oil is mixed with it that's when it sludges up.
hmmm i heard it was the other way around. used it in my old 97 silvy and it destroyed the intake gaskets twice. last time i took it to another shop and thats what they said was causing the leaks. so they switched it back to green. maybe the newer vehicles were designed for the red stuff.

·
Premium Member
'07 awd
2,422 Posts
Well, it would be easier to stick with the red. Because of the issues with intermixing the two, you would have to make sure you get ALL the red out of the heater core and hoses.:2cents:

·
Premium Member
'08 TBSS 2wd
1,496 Posts
I have NEVER EVER had an issue with DexCool, when the system is kept full. Let air (oxygen) get in there, and yes, it will gum up. That's why the burp tank gets nasty...The problem with the L31 engines with leaky gaskets was related to the gasket makeup, not so much the coolant.

Draining dex from a newer engine to install green makes no sense to me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts