Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of the Wrangler JL (and FCA's bullshit) and traded for a bone stock 2006 TBSS AWD with under 70k miles. Drivetrain appears to be in exceptionally good condition.

I plan on driving this thing daily and don't plan any racing—just a fun A-to-B-point noisemaker with some utility and a bit more oomph. Besides basic amenities like t-stat, cold air, e-fans, oil tube, recommend your own set of performance (and reliability) mods getting the most out of the drivetrain, but with these limitations:

• Must pass emissions (Cook County, IL) without temporary tricks
  • Fuel injectors remain stock
  • No more than a cat-back exhaust upgrade

Basic mods and basic tune will happen first, other mods and tune will take place all at once. Appearance/handling is irrelevant at this very moment.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
66 Posts
For a daily driver with emissions laws, I’d do the basic bolt-ons you listed, then all the reliability bolt-ons for the engine oil pick-up and trans....
Call PCMofNC and Kelly and Alvin will get you squared away!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
895 Posts
There are a few cams to help without having to do too many converter and transmission upgrades, however that will be your biggest bang for the buck. I started where you are at, now 4l80 transmission, turbo, forged motor, fuels system with dual pumps etc etc. if you do anything from stock, the virus will win and you will be committed just like the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
There are a few cams to help without having to do too many converter and transmission upgrades, however that will be your biggest bang for the buck. I started where you are at, now 4l80 transmission, turbo, forged motor, fuels system with dual pumps etc etc. if you do anything from stock, the virus will win and you will be committed just like the rest of us.

I'll second that !

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
A vette servo is fun and super cheap along with the tcm tuned if possible.

lowered and a larger rear sway for a more confidence inspiring drive. even just the swaybar will add a grin to your face

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm down for whatever stock fuel can support. I don't go racing, so suspension mods will be second round of mods inline.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm down for whatever stock fuel can support. I don't go racing, so suspension mods will be second round of mods inline.
Seriously, a larger rear sway bar will put a grin on your face anytime you're not in a straight line. freeway off ramps, sweeping turns, anything. It's one of the top 3 best bang for the buck mods you can do for any car. ANY car. Other mods you'll like at first, and largely forget it's there as you get accustomed to it. Not a large rear sway bar.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I am stock motor with the exception of suspension mods (lowered, rear springs, rear sway bar, Spohn rear control arms, Panhard bar, SE Frame stiffening plate, 4 bolt cross member, and 275/45 tires). Always puts a smile on my face and surprises a LOT of people when things get twisty. It has pushed my bolt-on plans for close to two years now.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,563 Posts
I used to live in Cook County and passed emissions with Kooks headers and catted Y pipe. Having cats is the essential part so you pass the mirror test. In IL they use a long handled mirror to look under the vehicle and check for the presence of cats for those who live elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,293 Posts
Performance, Cat back, plugs/wires, electric fans, tune, intake, oil pickup tube, long tube headers with cats if you can pass emissions, torque converter, trans cooler and corvette servo. Pray the trans holds and enjoy.

Suspension, KW coil overs, rear static springs and a front lc32 stiffening plate with crossmember. Of course any maintenance that needs to be done.

R1 brake kit on all 4. I avoid drilled rotors on a daily or street use personally.

275/45r20 quality tires.

That’s about where mine was before I went completely overboard, I enjoyed the truck more with the above mods. Now it’s just a constant battle to keep parts in one piece.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Performance, Cat back, plugs/wires, electric fans, tune, intake, oil pickup tube, long tube headers with cats if you can pass emissions, torque converter, trans cooler and corvette servo. Pray the trans holds and enjoy.
If Im gonna have the trans dropped for converter/servo, I'll just end up with a built trans. It just makes sense for cost and time savings, especially because I wouldn't have the time nor space.

Would anybody add a cam to that recipe, minus the headers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I was down that road before with DSM's. Life happened, jobs happened and ran out of time...

I don't wanna go too deep again.
—just need something respectable, not over-the-top and somewhat reliable. Really don't care for more than 500 at the crank, if stock fuel accommodates it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got tired of the Wrangler JL (and FCA's bullshit) and traded for a bone stock 2006 TBSS AWD with under 70k miles. Drivetrain appears to be in exceptionally good condition.

I plan on driving this thing daily and don't plan any racing—just a fun A-to-B-point noisemaker with some utility and a bit more oomph. Besides basic amenities like t-stat, cold air, e-fans, oil tube, recommend your own set of performance (and reliability) mods getting the most out of the drivetrain, but with these limitations:

• Must pass emissions (Cook County, IL) without temporary tricks
  • Fuel injectors remain stock
  • No more than a cat-back exhaust upgrade

Basic mods and basic tune will happen first, other mods and tune will take place all at once. Appearance/handling is irrelevant at this very moment.
I just picked up an 09 AWD 3SS myself. I think it's sort of a waste to do anything outside of cooling and fans if you're not willing to do more than a car back to the exhaust. Headers make huge gains, are cheap, and are a foundational item to a performance build.

That said, my plans are as follows (roughly in order)
Trans cooler, sway bar bushings, 2" drop with shocks, rear sway bar, e fans, long tubes, dual exhaust (probably quad tips like on my vettes). I'll probably do the fans, headerss, and exhaust all at the same time to minimize on number of tune cha ges needed, because unless I get my own hptuners, I'd have to go to a shop or my buddy in NC to do them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are headers worth it or even necessary, though, for anyone looking to stay emissions-legal and not caring to achieve more than 500 at the crank?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are headers worth it or even necessary, though, for anyone looking to stay emissions-legal and not caring to achieve more than 500 at the crank?
They're the easiest power upgrade you can make and probably one of the most hp per dollar you can do. It's often 20 to 30 hp with a tune, but prices vary pretty wildly with quality. It's maybe a little more difficult on these trucks because it seems like catted y pipes only come from the most expensive brands, and of course cost more. But then you're totally smog legal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts