Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other thread back in July had quite a few scratching their heads on what the outcome would be:
Blown Engine! Me vs. GM, Worst Situation EVER!
http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47276

As most of you know they did end up replacing the entire engine under warranty and since about June I've been on the road.

Well...

Ever since the new engine has been in it's been making a "ticking" noise, not quite as noticable as the previous knock, and searching on here I was leaning more towards it being the dreadful piston slap issue. Pretty unacceptable to me for a brand new engine, but it wasn't consistant and would go away once the vehicle warmed up.

I'd say within the last month it has gotten more noticable especially on cold starts and becomes less apparent as it warms up, but is still there.

So I take the SS back into Lang's (my local dealership who replaced the whole engine) for 75K mile service and my 3rd oil change, and mention this noise to them. I drop it off on Thursday evening last week and let them start checking it out first thing in the morning when the noise is most obvious, mind you the new engine at this point as just under 7K on it.

They report to me that they can definately hear the noise, they did some sort of "cylinder test" to try to narrow it down to which cylinder was making the noise and it was apparent in all cylinders. They're telling me they think it's the main rod bearing, but were awaiting to hear back from GM's district service manager as to how they should move forward with one of two options

A.) Remove the engine dissassemble and find the source of the issue
B.) Replace the engine with ANOTHER complete LS2 engine.

Just yesterday they decided to dissassemble the engine and find the source of the issue.

So my SS sits at Lang's with the whole engine out AGAIN and this time the engine is cracked open and they're taking measurements etc. trying to find the source of the issue.

I'm very glad GM/Lang's is taking the initiative on the repair this time, and they're not giving me any flack. After all I've only put 7K miles on their brand new engine and I'm already experiencing these issues. IMO I either got a bad engine, or GM has lowered their level of acceptable quality in their crate engine assemblies...

Either way I'm coming to you guys for the following reason...

While my engine is at the dealership cracked open in all it's glory are there any parts or pieces I could upgrade to ensure a longer healthier life of the LS2?

As much as I'd love to, I want to be careful not to add anything that changes performance, but just increases the engine strength and reliability. Due to the whole warranty deal. (Reference old thread link above as they thought I modded my ECM and almost didn't replace my engine, and it was determined I took ownership of the vehicle with a modded ECM and GM CPO'd it....)

So what'd you recomend? My initial thoughts are the following:
-Billy's oil pan or C6 Oil Pan Kit
-Melling Oil Pump

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
If your AWD, you can't use the C6 oilpan... and there is a long wait for one of Billyman's AWD pans...

Blueprinted Melling Oil Pump is probably your best bet.... Always run an additional quart of oil also...

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your AWD, you can't use the C6 oilpan... and there is a long wait for one of Billyman's AWD pans...

Blueprinted Melling Oil Pump is probably your best bet.... Always run an additional quart of oil also...
Yeah I'm AWD... I seen one of Billyman's thread's and how he's going to wash his hands of modding the AWD oil pans...

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
just LEAVE IT ALONE...

ANYTHING you put into that motor that YOU provide, is just amunition later down the road for them if god forbid there is another failure...

are you SURE you got a new motor... there is a member local to me that was told he got a NEW motor... when in fact he had gotten a junkyard LKQ motor.... this became apparent when i looked at it due to the rod knock it had...

the original dealer ended up putting a new motor in it... I.E. goodwrench motor...

there are motors available as of now. so if they replace it with a new one... your set.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just LEAVE IT ALONE...

ANYTHING you put into that motor that YOU provide, is just amunition later down the road for them if god forbid there is another failure... are you SURE you got a new motor... there is a member local to me that was told he got a NEW motor... when in fact he had gotten a junkyard LKQ motor.... this became apparent when i looked at it due to the rod knock it had...

the original dealer ended up putting a new motor in it... I.E. goodwrench motor...

there are motors available as of now. so if they replace it with a new one... your set.
Yeah I was afraid if I offerred different parts for any re-assembly it would raise red flags or cause more harm than good...

Interesting your friend got a used engine... Of course the dealership would say they put a new one in though, everything seemed pretty new though when I checked it out, of course it was already installed so...

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
only problem with putting other than oem parts into that motor...

say you put rod bolts into it as an upgrade... and a year from now you have a bearing issue... they will come up with some odd explination why those aftermarket rod bolts caused the bearing issue... even though the aftermarket rod bolts have no bearing issues that i have seen on the interwebs...

get what im saying?

just let them put it back as they should... and drive the thing.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
only problem with putting other than oem parts into that motor...

say you put rod bolts into it as an upgrade... and a year from now you have a bearing issue... they will come up with some odd explination why those aftermarket rod bolts caused the bearing issue... even though the aftermarket rod bolts have no bearing issues that i have seen on the interwebs...
get what im saying?

just let them put it back as they should... and drive the thing.
I definately get what you're sayin, exactly why I would fear proposing any "upgraded" parts, even if they did not affect performance...

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2000 T/A TBSS soon!
103 Posts
Don't touch it, don't even look at it.. hell might not want to even check your own oil lol. they find so many reasons to get out of warranties on high performance vehicles it's crazy.

A friend of mines z06 broke an axle. tore up the wheel, inner fender, etc and they tried to not replace it the parts the broken part damaged. had to send a rep from GM to look at it... luckily his uncle is the dealer.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,293 Posts
Would suck if they tore it down and found nothing...but if they scoped it they must of heard something for sure.
My question - did this noise get louder as you accelerated or was it a consistent tempo?

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would suck if they tore it down and found nothing...but if they scoped it they must of heard something for sure.
My question - did this noise get louder as you accelerated or was it a consistent tempo?
As mentioned it was most noticable at cold starts, I always try to let my vehicle warm up for at leat 5 mins... And in driving in the cold the noise would speed up as I accelerated, but not really get any louder. When the vehicle would warm up it was less noticable, but if I listened close enough I could still hear it.

My initial thoughts were piston slap, but I'm starting to think that isn't the case...

What about some upgraded engine mounts? Are these the only ones for our trucks? Anyone have these?
http://www.alloutracing.com/store/spohn-polyurethane-motor-mounts-ls1-ls2-ls6-ls7-d-7-512.html

Not looking for anything solid, but I'd be interested in a slightly stiffer urethane.

Does any company make any upgraded urethane suspension bushings for the TBSS? I looked on energy suspension products website but they don't offer much?

·
Registered
2006 White 2WD LT
274 Posts
Might Want to check pedders. Not sure if they make anything for us or not but they do for the gtos and g8s, camaros and such

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
Mines been doing the same thing lately. Even after it warms up I can still hear the noise a little bit, I might be taken it in now and getting them to take a look at it. And see if it's the same problem your having!

·
Premium Member
'08 SRX V-6 AWD
2,767 Posts
I've had a slight tick on my motor when starting cold for the last 35000 miles. It goes away by the time I'm 100 yards from my house.
I guess maybe my solution of just turning up the radio so I can't hear it may not be so bad after all.:dunno:
(word: it got a little louder after I got my hearing aids)
:D

·
Banned
18,856 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
I saw nothing of a blown motor....just a noisy one.
The topic was brought up because he was looking for motor mounts, and the poster suggested he might find some at pedders, although he was incorrect.

Did you get that coffee?
*sigh* Pedders doesn't even make motor mounts, they rebadged some Ebay ultra mounts for the GTO but thats about it.

You're right, noisy not blown. No coffee, can't do it....have to go to bed in a couple hours after work.

I want to hear as well since I followed the first thread and this has to be heartbreaking....again!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts