Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
TBSS Black 2006
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was underneath the SS this morning preping for some POR-15 and I noticed my pumpkin is caked with grease and dirt and I also noticed I am missing a bolt. What do you think I should do in this situation and where would I need to go to get that missing bolt?

Pics below of what im talking about:

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
To much power!

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Looks like the rear has been apart before from the orange goo on cover....

Either take it into dealer or pressure wash the rear and find the exact point of the leak. When we do rear gears we use plain gear lube and 3 bottled of dana friction modifier also we dont use gasket we prefer black gasket maker.

Make sure after you fill diff and truck is on ground to check fluid again, then in about a week recheck fluid after gear oil gets in axle tubes and what not

·
Registered
801 Posts
Check the other bolts to see if they are tight. Probably the cover has been off and someone didn't get them all tight. New gasket, fluid, another bolt, and some brake clean should fix it right up.

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
:iamwithstupid:

It'll quit leaking once it runs out of oil.

·
Registered
07' TrailblazerSS
210 Posts
I believe it's your axle vent tube holder bracket that is missing. And how in the heck can there be rust on the rear axle with that much gear lube all over???!!!! :doh::rofl:

·
Registered
TBSS Black 2006
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn, none of the parts stores around here carry or can even order that gasket and they sure as hell don't have the bolt im missing either, poop.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
I would just use some "gasket maker"

If you really want a gasket just cover shipping and will send you one. I will even send you a bolt.

·
Registered
07' TrailblazerSS
210 Posts
Damn, none of the parts stores around here carry or can even order that gasket and they sure as hell don't have the bolt im missing either, poop.
As said just use RTV, I use the grey RTV and holds up very well. Figured you might not get a gasket except from a dealer the auto stores around here in their puters have the SS only having a 10 bolt??? Not sure why but.......:dunno::doh:

·
Registered
TBSS Black 2006
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up some red rtv. Whats the recommended brand of differential fluid to put in there?

·
Registered
07' TrailblazerSS
210 Posts
Picked up some red rtv. Whats the recommended brand of differential fluid to put in there?
Well if you want recommended then go to the dealer and get the GM fluid they recommend with the additive. Myself I put in 75-140W full synthetic royal purple with no additive and my SS (7 months) and my Avalanche (3 years and towing) have been fine with it. But you will hear what others have added and stayed with stock.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Well when I worked for an eaton distrib and master builder every diff we did had plain ol dino oil and friction modifier. Eaton does not recommend synthetics with there lsd's which we have in our trucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts