Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer SS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my local dealer yesterday for an oil chance and the dealer said i had a leak in the rear of the engine transmission. From a quick inspection not a full diagnostic. I can see what looks to be some oil dripping when the car is sitting and it just started doing this and was wondering what your guys thoughts are on this leak. My TBSS has 160k miles on it, and the transmission was rebuilt at 100k miles. There seems to fresh oil dripping above or around the oil drain plug, which is not leaking. Not to say i dont trust my local chevy dealer but there is a small leak so i know they arent full of shit completely.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
779 Posts
It could be the rear main seal or I noticed if I run 7 quarts of oil in mine it would drip a little. I just run 6.5 quarts and it won't leak. Maybe try that.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Make sure its not the rear of the valve covers leaking, it will run down the back and look like that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer SS
5 Posts
Mine has the same exact issue. Just changed the oil. Put 6.5 quarts in. It looks like it has been leaking for awhile though just not on the ground. Cant figure out where it is coming from yet. I also have lifter noise and piston slap until it’s hot. So looks like I have the TBSS trifecta. Only had it for two weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer SS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine has the same exact issue. Just changed the oil. Put 6.5 quarts in. It looks like it has been leaking for awhile though just not on the ground. Cant figure out where it is coming from yet. I also have lifter noise and piston slap until it’s hot. So looks like I have the TBSS trifecta. Only had it for two weeks.
Thats exactly what is going in with me now, i think i am going to have to take it to shop early next week to have them take a look at it. I am going to try and take some more photos this weekend and i can post them, i want to try and clean it better so maybe i can see where the leak is coming from better! will post update!

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer SS
5 Posts
Thats exactly what is going in with me now, i think i am going to have to take it to shop early next week to have them take a look at it. I am going to try and take some more photos this weekend and i can post them, i want to try and clean it better so maybe i can see where the leak is coming from better! will post update!
yeah I need to do some deep cleaning too. I think that will give me a better idea of where it’s coming from. Both valve covers have oil grime build up on them. Right behind my right front tire it looks like there is oil residue that has blown through there. Driver side is dry. I hope it’s the rear of the valve cover instead of the rear main. Also after lots of videos it sounds like I don’t have piston slap I have a broken exhaust manifold bolt or something. Can’t wait to tackle that. Hopefully you get a good answer and let us know. Post some pics up of you get a chance.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer SS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I need to do some deep cleaning too. I think that will give me a better idea of where it’s coming from. Both valve covers have oil grime build up on them. Right behind my right front tire it looks like there is oil residue that has blown through there. Driver side is dry. I hope it’s the rear of the valve cover instead of the rear main. Also after lots of videos it sounds like I don’t have piston slap I have a broken exhaust manifold bolt or something. Can’t wait to tackle that. Hopefully you get a good answer and let us know. Post some pics up of you get a chance.
I went to start the car this morning also and it wouldn't start after a new battery i put in it 2 week ago, so now we have an alternator problem i think. oh the joys of repairs good thing its not my daily car anymore.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS
1,559 Posts
Rear main/rear cover or oil pan are usually the culprits. If you get lucky it's valve covers running down. Parts stores sell a UV dye you can put in the oil, run it for a few minutes and then shut the lights off and check with a UV flashlight. That's usually the easiest way to tell where it originates...once it starts running down the block, covers/oil pan etc it can really seem like something else.

I went to start the car this morning also and it wouldn't start after a new battery i put in it 2 week ago, so now we have an alternator problem i think. oh the joys of repairs good thing its not my daily car anymore.
Could have a drain going on there, especially if it just sat the whole time and then refused to start.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer SS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rear main/rear cover or oil pan are usually the culprits. If you get lucky it's valve covers running down. Parts stores sell a UV dye you can put in the oil, run it for a few minutes and then shut the lights off and check with a UV flashlight. That's usually the easiest way to tell where it originates...once it starts running down the block, covers/oil pan etc it can really seem like something else.

Could have a drain going on there, especially if it just sat the whole time and then refused to start.
Possible but i will definitely have to investigate further, weekend plans have been made!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,083 Posts
The infamous battery draw... iv had this for 2yrs stopped looking after hearing multiple times its the lift gate module which is cheap but has to be programmed by the stealership..

Sent from my boujea ass phone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts