Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 AWD
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not 100% sure if this is coming from the rear end or not.. could be the front end too..

This only happens when the truck has been sitting for awhile, like overnight. On the first few turns I can feel a vibration in the steering wheel, definitely something from the drivetrain because the faster I go the faster the vibration gets. It seems to stop after a turn or two.. The only thing I can compare it to is my old truck with big knobby tires that rubbed on the inner fender, but I know its not that! It seems a lot more noticable when I'm turning, it also seems to stop after maybe 3 or 4 blocks..

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Normally you dont feel it in the wheel, but otherwise it sounds like typical clutch chatter in rear diff.

The dealer will try to do a flush with new fluids. They did this with mine and a few miles later replaced the entire rear carrier.

Very common issue with these. What is happening is when you turn one wheel is turning faster (the outside radius) and if the clutch pack cant slip as designed. It catches and grabs and then lets loose abrubtly. Can even BANG at times.

Just take it to dealer and tell them its popping when you turn.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
I just put GL-100 in it and the problem is gone forever.

Screw taking it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Is that the band-aid approch...

When they click & pop & shutter, NO oil is going to repair the damage..
The clutches rarely get damage from the popping, it's just friction noise of grabbing and releasing under pressure.

No, the dealer approach is the band aid...the TSB and replacement carrier simply replaces the preload springs with WEAK springs that do not engage the clutch pack. I personally have the belief if a dealer tears your differential apart, they are NOT going to set it up correctly unless you get lucky and the one guy who is really good happens to do set the gear mesh clearances.

The graoning and clicking is the clutchs not lubricated enough to slip with light tension. The GL-100 is just better lube that eliminates the grinding.

Trust me, I've used it on many many many differentials, brand new rebuilds even with no damage that wouldn't stop groaning/popping with any other lube and additive available.

It really is the fix and you get better mileage just from using it.

Like I tell everyone...don't take my word for it, try it before you bash it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts