Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO just to be sure, in order to remove the rear bowtie below the rear glass i just use a blow dryer to heat up the double sided tape and use floss to cut the soft tape???? There are no screws right? Just the tape.....

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,569 Posts
Yep there's just tape holding it on.

Reactions: Joe67

·
Baller Status
07 TBSS AWD 3SS
654 Posts
I've always had good success with debadging by using a heat gun, then spraying WD-40 on the glue and running some strong waxed dental floss behind it to cut it right off. Works like a charm and doesn't scratch anything. I keep a roll of floss in my tool box specifically for that actually.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,795 Posts
Removing the emblem is the easy part. Its getting the adhesive off afterwards that's the hard part.

Ive debadged tons of cars and never used a heat gun. Does it work better? Maybe? I don't know, but I never had much trouble without one.

What I would do is take some, wd-40, or something similar and spray behind the emblem to soak the adhesive a little bit. Wait 5-10 mins. Then put some gloves on and cut a piece of fishing string. Rock it back and forth behind the emblem until it pops off. (wear gloves so the line doesn't rip in to your skin, Also fishing line is MUCH stronger then dental floss, I tried dental floss and you had to be so gentle it would of taken me hours.)

Once the emblem is removed getting the adhesive off is the tough part. I soak it with wd-40 wait about 10 mins, then come in with a dry microfiber towel and scrub away the adhesive. Repeat this as many times as you need until its gone.

Couple pro tips. Tape all around the adhesive with painters tape so you don't mar any of the well kept paint while trying to remove the adhesive.
Also if you have a microfiber pad, you can use that and some cutting compound to remove stubborn adhesive. (After you've removed the majority of the adhesive) don't use a cutting pad on a giant mound of adhesive. Also after you do this the cutting pad with be garbage, you wont be able to get that crap out of the pad.

·
Baller Status
07 TBSS AWD 3SS
654 Posts
^^^ solid advice

·
Registered
317 Posts
Removing the emblem is the easy part. Its getting the adhesive off afterwards that's the hard part.

Ive debadged tons of cars and never used a heat gun. Does it work better? Maybe? I don't know, but I never had much trouble without one.

What I would do is take some, wd-40, or something similar and spray behind the emblem to soak the adhesive a little bit. Wait 5-10 mins. Then put some gloves on and cut a piece of fishing string. Rock it back and forth behind the emblem until it pops off. (wear gloves so the line doesn't rip in to your skin, Also fishing line is MUCH stronger then dental floss, I tried dental floss and you had to be so gentle it would of taken me hours.)

Once the emblem is removed getting the adhesive off is the tough part. I soak it with wd-40 wait about 10 mins, then come in with a dry microfiber towel and scrub away the adhesive. Repeat this as many times as you need until its gone.

Couple pro tips. Tape all around the adhesive with painters tape so you don't mar any of the well kept paint while trying to remove the adhesive.
Also if you have a microfiber pad, you can use that and some cutting compound to remove stubborn adhesive. (After you've removed the majority of the adhesive) don't use a cutting pad on a giant mound of adhesive. Also after you do this the cutting pad with be garbage, you wont be able to get that crap out of the pad.
You'd have less adhesive to worry about removing if you'd use a heat gun.

·
Baller Status
07 TBSS AWD 3SS
654 Posts
I'd be willing to venture that the heat gun is why I can get through the glue with just dental floss and not fishing wire. Never even broken the floss, and it's nothing special.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Great reply, I would only add to use the tape as he describes-it also give you the exact placement for the new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts