Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 22 ft boat I pull and I notice the rear feels bouncing. I figured I should probably replace the shocks. Any recommendations on good shock for everyday driving and occasional towing? My TBSS is stock height with air bags.

·
Hater
Duh
9,215 Posts
How many miles? If it was me I'd prob just get new oems. Tony always suggests the belltechs for better ride but i don't know about the towing. I was going say perhaps too much tongue weight? Doubt it tho

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
It might not be the SS it might be the length of the trailer and the tongue weight that's making it see-saw, just a consideration before you replace something that might nay have to be. We need more info tho. Weight of the load, mileage on the truck, tongue weight of the trailer.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,037 Posts
Yeah somethings up if you have noticable bounce on stock setup...should be solid once it auto levels.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
truck has 50k miles, the boat and trailer (tandem axle) is about 5200lbs not sure the tongue weight? I can lift the tongue up by hand if that means any thing? the truck seems to pull it ok but when we start to hit bumps the rear bounces and it is annoying. currently I only pull it no more than 10 miles but was planning on taking a trip which is a few hundred miles and didnt want to bounce the entire way. :)

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
166 Posts
Is the trailer and SS level? If you have the hitch high the weight transfer may be causing the problem. Also, sounds to me like there is not enough tongue weight if you can pick it up. I have a 21 ft bow rider with 350 in-out board on a single axle trailer and there is no way that I can pick up the tongue. Is your trailer single or dual axle

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,278 Posts
I have a 14ft Searay and I can't pick up the tongue. I think you need a weight shift.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
You can pick up the front of the trailer by hand when it's loaded?!?!?! If thats the case the tongue is too light and you need to move the entire weight forward. Empty I can understand picking up a boat trailer but loaded theyre notoriously tongue heavy (with the exception of double or triple inboards). You might need a load leveling trailer hitch setup but something doesn't sound right. When the tongue weight is too light you get a buck board effect where the trailer and the tow rig see saw back and forth at the point of the hitch.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
You can pick up the front of the trailer by hand when it's loaded?!?!?! If thats the case the tongue is too light and you need to move the entire weight forward. Empty I can understand picking up a boat trailer but loaded theyre notoriously tongue heavy (with the exception of double or triple inboards). You might need a load leveling trailer hitch setup but something doesn't sound right. When the tongue weight is too light you get a buck board effect where the trailer and the tow rig see saw back and forth at the point of the hitch.
:iamwithstupid:You may have to get the axles moved back on the trailer..............Or, if you have the room...move the front part of the trailer that has the crank on it (that pulls the boat onto the trailer/secures) forward.

·
Registered
Go Ped
582 Posts
Yup tongue too light. Sounds like that trailer is not for that boat. Cheap option is to try weighting the bow of the boat with sandbags. If that doesnt work, get the right trailer. This could be a dangerous situation if it starts bouncing like that while you are turning, especially at speed like on a highway ramp.

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
Yup tongue too light. Sounds like that trailer is not for that boat. Cheap option is to try weighting the bow of the boat with sandbags. If that doesnt work, get the right trailer. This could be a dangerous situation if it starts bouncing like that while you are turning, especially at speed like on a highway ramp.
Thats not turning, thats being pushed thru a turn. Scary isn't quite the word and most people wouldn't know what to do or how to react in that situation, it happened to me with a International D4000 line-truck towing a machine trailer with a bulldozer on the back. That was the LAST time I let someone load a trailer for me.

To the OP. Most trailers have an adjustable arm on the front that can push the front tie down/support forward thereby shifting the weight of the load forward. If the engine of the boat is resting too far off the rear of the trailer you're "canterlevering" the trailer and the tow rig. Post a pic of your current tow setup and a few shots of the front and rear of the trailer. Also get a shot of the bottom of the front tie down where the crank is

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the truck does levels it self out when the trailer is applied. the trailer is a tandem axle. I think you guys just confirmed my question about the boat needs to sit closer towards the front of the trailer. I actually cannot pick tounge up by hand (not sure what I was thinking). but if the boat has a full tank of gas and you stand on the back of the boat the front of trailer will come up off ground a few inches (not attached to truck). I think I will move the front tie forward and see if that helps. thanks everyone this is very helpful!!!

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
Cool. Move the tie down up and take a few short test drives, chances are you'll clear the problem up. Wouldn't hurt to get a trailer brake controller too.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
523 Posts
It sounds like you don't have the front of the boat high enough over the front rollers. A lot of people make that mistake and then the trailer is off balance and wants to bounce and sway a lot.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
moving forward this evening will post results. I hope it works.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Good gracious, your tongue weight is off. Get the trailer and boat weighed. Then take and multiply the weight by .1 - that should be your tongue weight. Adjust the trailer accordingly. If you cant adjust the load, then move the axles back to increase the weight. There is no way you should be able to lift a 22' boat and trailers tongue weight, unless your the dead lift champion :)

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
I agree with everyone here in saying you need more tongue weight. I just had a new trailer built for my Scarab and its balanced perfectly. Tows like a dream compared to the old trailer, having the weight distribution set up correctly makes a HUGE difference. I was skeptical while it was being built, but the end result is a trailer that tows smoothly down the highway at 70. Boat + trailer + 1/4 tank (~15gal) = 4300lbs on a scale. Add in tongue weight at 200-300lbs (rough guess) and its 4500lbs easy.

Anyone have a problem with the rear bags deflating on them after a hundred miles or so towing a trailer? Everytime I stopped for gas (was getting 10mpg at 65-70 in a 20+mph headwind, so I was stopping a bunch ha), the rear was almost deflated. Still had air in the bags and wasnt on the bumpstops, but it was probably 1-1.5" lower than it should be. Once I stopped and let the compressor pump them up it was ok for a while, but after an hour or two they were deflated again. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts