Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flatbed towed after a ball joint failure. The driver strapped the vehicle down around the tires and nothing else, so the only thing keeping my truck from flying off of his flatbed was my suspension. Get the SUV home and the rear airbags are bottomed out and will not fill. Air compressor runs for the 30 seconds allowed then shuts off with no inflation, with the noise of the compressor I can't really listen for leaks. I have zero experience with the back side of my TBSS.

Can anyone think of failure points caused by extreme suspension travel and abuse? The travel doesn't concern me as much as the force from the travel stopping when the suspension ran out of available travel. I'm not sure which part is the shortest straw that would have taken that force.

I'm getting close to towing it to a mechanic at this point as it's undrivable sitting on exhaust, I'm sure I could mechanically fix the issue just can't do the troubleshooting needed with my knowledge.

Thanks for the read!

·
Registered
Trailblazer 3SS
21 Posts
I suggest filling a spray bottle with soapy water and spray the entire bag while the compressor tries to fill them. It'll start bubbling like crazy wherever there is a leak. Another place to check is the airlines going into the bags to see if they got ripped out or damaged. I just replaced my bags about a month ago, it's relatively cheap (I think around $100 total) and took me about 30 min total. Good luck.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
202 Posts
also make sure the ride height sensors are still intact and aren't broken. try jacking the rear end up slightly. I used a piece of wood on the trailer hitch just to raise the back up a couple of inches.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,645 Posts
I agree with the above posts. If they strapped it down over the tires with the web like mesh it is very possible that they snagged on the height level adjusters or broke the arms / blue plastic linkage. I would start there as well as the cheap plastic lines and connectors.

Or you can just rip out the bags and go springs to never have to worry about it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts