Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here do it?

I'm not talking about the stuff you see in the Xgames. I'm talking about Cannonball Run/Gumball 3000 type stuff. If you haven't tried it, I strongly recommend it.

Rallies are all different. Some its A to B the fastest. Or A to B exactly on the pace time. Others have check points, challenges at each check point.

The Polar Run we did was based on stage times. I've done quite a bit of TSD rallies, so this was fairly easy to win. (closest to pace time)

The Kannonball Fun was a flat out, first team at the finish wins. This was fun to be running WOT with some exotics. I was running with a new Maserati for about 10 miles. Hearing it like that was INSANE. 8th place out of 45 teams wasn't too shabby for the old Trailblazer.

We have one coming up in August. If you're in the upper midwest, I recommend checking it out. Central Crown Rally 2015

Below is a couple of photos with the rally livery still on.

1st place in the Polar Run
8th place in the Kannonball Fun

Anyone else do these??

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Cool, that would be awesome! Probably wont have my project done, but maybe next year! Wonder if my GS at 15psi would make it, never did long WOT B4, but it has the tires rated for it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, that would be awesome! Probably wont have my project done, but maybe next year! Wonder if my GS at 15psi would make it, never did long WOT B4, but it has the tires rated for it.
Yea they're a blast!

I'll update this thread for the Polar Run in January. That one is SUPER fun. Plus spending a couple days up at Lutsen isn't too shabby either.

Little off topic, do you do AutoMotion in the Dells at all? I saw a few TBSS's this year. Wonder if one of them was you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Never did any rallying myself, but had a 3 year contract with Gene Henderson, back in the early 80s, to build the engines for his SCCA Pro Rally cars. I ended up going to a lot of the events and they were AMAZING!

Gene had a 3 year deal with AMC to promote their new Eagle AWD, and ended up racing them in the Production Division. He won the championship 2 of the 3 years! His son Gary raced a Jeep Scrambler in the Open division against the likes of Rod Millen driving for Mazda and John Buffum driving for Audi.

Gene was a true professional and was inducted into the SCCA hall of fame in 2012, after his death.

That Polar Run looks neat! They had "The Snowdrift", on the Pro Rally circuit back in the day, which was in Gaylord MI, in December. That was a wild event, usually in very challenging conditions. I remember some snow storms during the Press On Regardless Rally, in Houghton MI, in November, also. Great times that I remember fondly!

Best of Luck and be safe!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never did any rallying myself, but had a 3 year contract with Gene Henderson, back in the early 80s, to build the engines for his SCCA Pro Rally cars. I ended up going to a lot of the events and they were AMAZING!

Gene had a 3 year deal with AMC to promote their new Eagle AWD, and ended up racing them in the Production Division. He won the championship 2 of the 3 years! His son Gary raced a Jeep Scrambler in the Open division against the likes of Rod Millen driving for Mazda and John Buffum driving for Audi.

Gene was a true professional and was inducted into the SCCA hall of fame in 2012, after his death.

That Polar Run looks neat! They had "The Snowdrift", on the Pro Rally circuit back in the day, which was in Gaylord MI, in December. That was a wild event, usually in very challenging conditions. I remember some snow storms during the Press On Regardless Rally, in Houghton MI, in November, also. Great times that I remember fondly!

Best of Luck and be safe!
Thanks for the post!

The jeep his son was running, did it say Moby Dick on the side? I remember reading about him on Special Stage.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Never gone to Automotion before, in fact last year was first I heard of it. I pulled the drivetrain out of my SS and dont have it anymore, so wasnt me. But Id like to be there next year with my SS powered AWD TT powered Camry. Id love to do a cannonball run one day with you. Maybe next year we can do it together. Prices are too steep right now, gotten finnish my build B4 a $2000 3 day adventure. Any other ones out there that might be in the $500 range, or $1000 max with hotels, food, etc.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never gone to Automotion before, in fact last year was first I heard of it. I pulled the drivetrain out of my SS and dont have it anymore, so wasnt me. But Id like to be there next year with my SS powered AWD TT powered Camry. Id love to do a cannonball run one day with you. Maybe next year we can do it together. Prices are too steep right now, gotten finnish my build B4 a $2000 3 day adventure. Any other ones out there that might be in the $500 range, or $1000 max with hotels, food, etc.
AutoMotion is INSANELY awesome. Ive been going now for 10 years. Wouldn't miss it for the world. so if you go, we'll be hanging out for sure.

And any of them can be in your range. Only thing I spent out of pocket for my rallies were actually owning my vehicles. I was able to raise enough money for the entire thing through sponsorship. We even had a "beer bbq" to raise money for my teams bar tab. It worked like a charm.

So if you wanted to do it, we'd figure the money out in other ways than out of our pockets!

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
That would be so cool. Id love to do that if sponsorship was available. Wish you lived closer, would be so cool to have someone with similar interests to work on projects together. Still havent found anybody nearby that has the time to hang out, either they work 6 days a week, or spending what little time they have with family. (As it should be) ut it would be nice to find someone as interested in performance modding as much as I am, and had the time to spend helping each other. Time is all I have - but am limited to 3-4hrs a day max due to my back.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly, I have quite a few car friends. But they're 99% Subaru people. And people end up coming to me usually for help. But with my TB, its crickets when I ask people for help. I think you're 5ish hours away from me. Still not terribly bad if you needed a major hand.

My work takes up a ton of my time, my daughter, pregnant wife and church. So there's not a WHOLE lot of time left over for car stuff. But I still manage to squeeze it in. Some how.

Do you have a build thread for your Camry? That's something I'd like to read about.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Im holding off on starting build thread til a little further along.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for the post!

The jeep his son was running, did it say Moby Dick on the side? I remember reading about him on Special Stage.
Nope, Moby Dick was a '72 Jeep Wagoneer that Gene raced, in 1972. It was the first American made car to win a FIA World Championship event. Gene was also the first American driver to win that event, with the first ever 4 wheel drive vehicle, embarrassing a whole bunch of European hot shoes!

Gene's son Gary was no where near the driver that Gene was. While I was working with the team, Gary was driving a Jeep Scrambler 4wd in the Open class, while Gene drove the Eagle in Production. The Scrambler was fast enough to contend, usually leading a few early stages, but Gary would eventually crash it and take it out of contention. He simply drove way over his head most of the time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts