Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Accord..ehh ik
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick questions about kooks/obx headers

I'm about pick up some obx headers. Not sure if I want the cat or catless ones. My friend showed me kooks headers for only $200 more but they don't come with a y pipe. I don't want to spend more then I have to since I'm building this car on a strict budget. Is it worth spending the money on kooks headers without the y pipe or should I just pick up the obx headers. Can I use the stock y pipe or a pacesetter y pipe with the kooks? Yes, im aware of the history if obx but I've had them on several cars and they're great! My truck will just be sprayed, bolted and diablo tuned. Not doing anything crazy.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
08 TB 3SS AWD
1,466 Posts
I'm pretty sure only kooks y-pipe will work with there headers. Personally bro, there are a shit load of guys on here running OBX headers with no problems. Just remember you get what you pay for.

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,332 Posts
My pacesetters were coated by these guys.... www.nitroplate.com

Pacesetter headers- 260 shipped from maryland speed to nitroplate
Nitroplate super bright finish- 250 + shipping from Nitroplate to you
Y pipe-150 shipped from maryland speed to you

Still cheaper than just the Kooks headers alone but you have the exact same product. The nice thing about the Kooks are the way they mount to their y pipe. With the coated headers and y pipe from pacesetter, you're still $600 cheaper than Kooks.... My Pacesetter headers fit great and have zero clearance issues.

·
Registered
Honda Accord..ehh ik
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Still cheaper than just the Kooks headers alone but you have the exact same product. The nice thing about the Kooks are the way they mount to their y pipe. With the coated headers and y pipe from pacesetter, you're still $600 cheaper than Kooks.... My Pacesetter headers fit great and have zero clearance issues.
I just bought some pacesetter headers and a y pipe. The kooks don't fit the awd apparently.:confused:

·
Premium Member
08 TB 3SS AWD
1,466 Posts
I just bought some pacesetter headers and a y pipe. The kooks don't fit the awd apparently.:confused:

??? What do ya mean, my kooka fit perfect and Im AWD

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS
608 Posts

I was considering going this route, I just wish Pacesetter offered a catted y-pipe!

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,332 Posts
There have been a few guys that have added cats to it. Not sure but I *think* papabear might have added cats. The pacestter y pipe is pretty versatile. A lot of guys modify them for true duals and I know of one that cut the flange off and welded a 3 1/2" flange and full 3 1/2" exhaust. I'll probably be going true dual soon and I think that would make it pretty easy to add cats then.

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS
608 Posts
Thats sounds like a cheaper option than SW or kooks.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,504 Posts
A couple things. None of the other companies Y pipes will bolt up to the Kooks headers flange.

OBX does not offer cats to my knowledge and neither does Pacesetter.

Coated Pacesetters are the budget header of choice IMO.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS 3SS
71 Posts
I have seen the OBX headers WITH catted Y-pipe for ~$700. I don't think you can beat that for an emission legal setup.

How would that setup sound with stock cat back with muffler and resonator still intact? Think it would be any louder than stock?

Any better deals out there?

Chris

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,504 Posts
I have seen the OBX headers WITH catted Y-pipe for ~$700. I don't think you can beat that for an emission legal setup.

How would that setup sound with stock cat back with muffler and resonator still intact? Think it would be any louder than stock?

Any better deals out there?

Chris
You sure those were cats and not just resonators?

Emissions legal isn't exactly correct. Hi flow cats are not emissions legal in any state. They just cut down some of the smell and may get you past a visual in some states. They will only pass the sniffer in states that require that on a very close to stock vehicle.

It would be louder then stock if you chose to go that route though.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS 3SS
71 Posts
You sure those were cats and not just resonators?

Emissions legal isn't exactly correct. Hi flow cats are not emissions legal in any state. They just cut down some of the smell and may get you past a visual in some states. They will only pass the sniffer in states that require that on a very close to stock vehicle.

It would be louder then stock if you chose to go that route though.
OBX Headers Link

In Texas it would be legal. As long as the vehicle has cats and isn't throwing a MIL it will pass.

Chris

·
DIY
Trailblazer SS
1,012 Posts
From what I hear there aren't very big gains with headers unless you get the catless y-pipe. I'd like to see dyno info that shows otherwise though cause I'm looking for my next project.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS 3SS
71 Posts
From what I hear there aren't very big gains with headers unless you get the catless y-pipe. I'd like to see dyno info that shows otherwise though cause I'm looking for my next project.
I wonder if there are any dyno's out there showing the results. I know I picked up quite a bit on my 2002 Z28 with Hooker LT's without cats. And I had always read that the hi flow cats didn't hinder that performance much at all. I don't have any proff of that though.

Chris

·
DIY
Trailblazer SS
1,012 Posts
Long tube headers on the F-Body LS1 setup is huge since the stock setup is so restrictive.

·
Hater
Duh
9,218 Posts
The cats are not restrictive like people think. If you're worried about a few horsepower or building a 1000hp monster then by all means go catless.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,504 Posts
OBX Headers Link

In Texas it would be legal. As long as the vehicle has cats and isn't throwing a MIL it will pass.

Chris
Didn't know they offered a cat now, but not surprising since I have never been in the market for a set.

In Texas it may or may not pass depending on the county you live in. The more populated counties (Houston included) in Texas have emissions that test the actual output of the pipes not just an OBD 2 MIL test. Similar to CA but with less stringent standards to pass.

Regardless legal would not be the correct word to use since it is against federal law to remove or change the location of the factory cats on vehicles so equipped. :biggrin2: In other words, headers with hi flow cats are just as illegal as headers with off road pipes. This is the reason companies make shorty headers that don't change the location of the factory cat so they remain legal under federal law. They aren't worth much power though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts