Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

Questions about keeping stock tranny alive

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  1FAST07SS 
#1 ·
Well, pretty soon i will be installing all the parts i have been collecting. Longtubes, o/r y, attitude cam, 3600 stall and have it tuned by tune time. i was wondering if i should upgrade anything in the stock transmission to help it last.... keep in mind, right now a built tranny is kind of out of the question. i ran across a transmission upgrade package that Kdubs was selling a while back, it includes
STG2 - $475

Includes: Shift improver package (that includes billet accumulator pistons to replace the faulty original plastic units that crack and lead to transmission failure, delrum check balls to reduce wear on seperator plate, servo release check valve to improve 2-3 shift, servo return spring to improve servo operations).. Billet 2nd and 4th gear servo's(to improve shift characteristics and reduce slippage) Shift valve with control spring (this valve replaces the stock unit that will actually apply the overrun clutches when the shifter is in D3 for a stronger transmission) Filter kit ( AcDelco replacement filter, pump seal and pan gasket. A must replacement when servicing the transmission)

is this worth it, or should i spend my money other places? i plan on telling my tuner to keep a decent amount of torque management to help it also. any advice?

thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I would also add the larger 3-4 clutch pack, hd sprag, and hd sunshell. Other than that, like greg said just add a cooler and roll with it.

#4 ·
Tell Matt to load in the file he wrote for my TBSS's with Double TQ Management. I'm putting down 521HP / 546TQ, AWD at the wheels on his dyno. Completely stock converter and trans running with the Supercharger for 2.5 years / 18,000 miles without so much as a slip. That's with countless WOT passes and towing a 5000lbs trailer every year from NY to West Virginia and back. And even going WOT with the trailer going up the W.V. Mountains.

I would definitely get a trans cooler and maybe pass on the stall converter. All of that sudden power at launch is bound to snap something internally eventually. And the added heat from the converter wont help keeping the trans running strong either. Good Luck with your build.

#6 ·
what are you running at the track with double tm? what does it feel like with that much tm?

thanks for the replies.... i already have a pcm4less tranny cooler and aux fan. that was one of the first mods. i think i will get that transmission upgrade package from fast and just maintain the hell out of it. i need the stall for the cam. and honestly, if the tranny blows, i wont be that mad. its expected. just not something i want to dump money on right now.

#5 ·
I agree with the converter being the 'knife in the back' on the mod list. Its the best bang for the buck for performance mods for automatic vehicles......but as with any other mods, there is the risk. Especially since you are going to be freeing up some extra power......just know you are putting your tranny more so in the spotlight.

I'd put off the converter until you can afford to build a trans. Of course, in the mean time.....an external tranny cooler will help the stocker even more, even without having a converter in there.

#8 ·
Before upgrading to the 8-Rib Overdriven Setup with a ton of belt slip on the 6-rib I ran a 12.18 in the quarter mile at 5200lbs with 22" chrome rims. I plan on going to the track Oct 8th and being in the mid to high 11's with the same weight and my 22". As for falling on my face at WOT here is a little video, judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR_SU1gkkdA

#10 ·
I cant really vouch for that stall im sure someone else could tell you if its more of a strip or streetable converter but yes i do understand your reason for not buying the yank same i did i went with the circle d 3200 stall because its a good streetable converter when i get my tranny built i will probably move to the either ptb or ss not sure yet but we will see how things hold up and i hope the best for yours too!

#11 ·
and cant watch the video on this computer..... how is it in your words? is there a big pause between shifts? i wouldnt mind a little, considering its just a weekend warrior, i would rather have the tranny last and loose a couple tenths off of the 1/4

#14 ·
I've got two answers to this question,

1. My Financial status in life is non of anyone else's business

2. My theory is "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"

#17 ·
I'm running my stock tranny right now with the circle D 3200 with no issues to speak of. Getting it built next spring if it holds up that long, mind you I don't beat the shit out of my truck either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.