Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we are having a spike in A-Holes going around and ripping off Catalytic converters around here. No, I haven't been hit because my TBSS sits too low (they mostly hit higher riding pickup trucks in the night.)
as it turns out, my brother just got hit recently. They took both converters from under his 1998 Chevy S10 4.3 V6. Incidently, he has a salvage 2003 GMC Sonoma (same engine) that he has been swapping common parts from in the past.
Question: CAN HE TRANSFER the cats from the GMC to the Chevy and stay CARB compliant here in Southern California? Would smog tests even notice the changeup?
thank you to anyone who might know this. I couldn't think of where to research such a nich inquiry.

·
Registered
2006 Black 3SS AWD
519 Posts
So, we are having a spike in A-Holes going around and ripping off Catalytic converters around here. No, I haven't been hit because my TBSS sits too low (they mostly hit higher riding pickup trucks in the night.)
as it turns out, my brother just got hit recently. They took both converters from under his 1998 Chevy S10 4.3 V6. Incidently, he has a salvage 2003 GMC Sonoma (same engine) that he has been swapping common parts from in the past.
Question: CAN HE TRANSFER the cats from the GMC to the Chevy and stay CARB compliant here in Southern California? Would smog tests even notice the changeup?
thank you to anyone who might know this. I couldn't think of where to research such a nich inquiry.
He might be able to. It may depend on part numbers. If the EFN, or engine family number is different, then no. Take the VIN# from both, plug into a dealer on line and lookup cats. May be same part numbers

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Move out of California….that will solve every problem.
Nah, stay there. You guys got yourselves into the mess y'all are in... Don't spread the sickness. Gotta flatten the curve...

Does insurance not cover cats? I can't imagine they'll fail for swapping cats from the same type of vehicle, though they may take issue with them being used.

·
Registered
239 Posts
From the visual inspection, they are just verifying the catalytics are there initially. If they appear to be aftermaket or welding evidence, they will do a deeper inspection.

If it's been modified in any way, you'll need paperwork for the catalytic replacement, and it must be on the CARB approved list.

I haven't seen catalytic swaps in that list, only aftermarket. It's buried, but there is a list on the CARB website of all the catalytics they support on a particular engine type. CA approved cats, cost about 5X more than 49state legal cats.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So basically if a cat gets stolen on an inexpensive car, you may as well total the car out.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, he has started a claim with insurance but theres a $500 deductible. Aftermaket CA approved replacement cat is around $1,200. The truck is worth probably $2,000 at most (likely less) .
The fact he has the GMC parts truck already on property is the obvious best source option if it can be done. My research inidates that Chevy and GMC DO in fact share identicle exhaust systems, BUT its the year difference that makes the exhaust different. Still, the parts truck is 2003 and the drive vehicle 1998, Oh, and the GMC cat is only 2 years old as it was replaced due to a bad cat back then.
that being said, I think it obvious that the GMChas a suerior (and newer) cat, its just a matter if smog will pass. Then any ole muffler shop should be fully capable of modding the swap as needed.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as for California....
75 degree and clear skys 300+ days per year, Need I say anything more?
BUT, the Liberalism plague has infected the state to such an irreversible prognosis that it has become practically uninhabitable; this by an humanbeing capable of rational thought.
Our (cough) "Governor"'s most recent mandate is to require children's toy stores to implement "gender neutral" toy aisles in all stores! (sigh) It is like waking up in a nightmare finding your world consists of perpetual Romper Room re-runs with PeeWee Herman hosting all in his own private adult theater set. (ewww)

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
168 Posts
To add to the above all lawn gas powered machines in California , including mowers, trimers and blowers will be canceled by 2024. What the hell is going on in that state. This is why when I retired I moved out of that state after 48 years living there.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,098 Posts
Next is all dirt bikes and off-road type of toys. It’s been getting ridiculous here for a while but now it’s dumb fuckery. Can’t wait until I can retire and move the hell out of here. To top it off, they want to make my 4 & 6 year old boys get the jab or they will not be able to attend school.

Moderators~ Sorry for turning this into a political thread. Maybe you should start a politics section. Probably would end up getting you way more traffic. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: theheder

·
Registered
57 Posts
So basically if a cat gets stolen on an inexpensive car, you may as well total the car out.
Saw a newer Tundra that got jacked for cats....approx 8k dollar bill from the dealer. We have had 4 vehicles hit at our dealership.
Including our Excursion limo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Y'all need to start filling your exhaust systems with murder hornets. That'll end the cat stealing issue real quick.

·
Registered
100 Posts
as for California....
75 degree and clear skys 300+ days per year, Need I say anything more?
BUT, the Liberalism plague has infected the state to such an irreversible prognosis that it has become practically uninhabitable; this by an humanbeing capable of rational thought.
Our (cough) "Governor"'s most recent mandate is to require children's toy stores to implement "gender neutral" toy aisles in all stores! (sigh) It is like waking up in a nightmare finding your world consists of perpetual Romper Room re-runs with PeeWee Herman hosting all in his own private adult theater set. (ewww)
There's lots of places in the US with better weather than CA. They also haven't been ruined by the plague yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts