Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 tbss
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a long time technician my trans is not long for this world lol. Anyway I bought a new one & want to put what it needs to make it bulletproof to 500hp ish. So basically Id like a list of what you all have done. I also want to know if anyone has installed a Sonnax 2.84 Ratio Input Carrier Kit. I love the close ratio Idea because its better but don't know if I should, It ant cheap??? I know theres lots of after market tranys out there but being a tech Id rather do it myself (also get parts cheaper).

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
you can get the parts yourself then take it somewhere unless you have access to all the special tools required. Youre looking at over 1000$ just in tools. If you have everything then look into all the sonnax upgraded servos, pistons, accumulator, smarttech drum, billet input and output shafts, smarttech input drum, new steels, clutches and bands

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Just a IMO and from having about 8 different built trannys in these trucks and former 4l60's, it really pays to have a reputable shop do your build. One of the vendors on here would be a great choice.. Unless you have built these before, there are numerous tricks and just a lot of things that only people who build performance 60's and 70's will know. Trust me it is well worth letting someone build it who has Lots of experience doing so and I don't mean Joe Blow that does all kinds of trannies at some random tranny shop. Ive been wrenching for a long time and will not even attempt to buld one myself... Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
Just a IMO and from having about 8 different built trannys in these trucks and former 4l60's, it really pays to have a reputable shop do your build. One of the vendors on here would be a great choice.. Unless you have built these before, there are numerous tricks and just a lot of things that only people who build performance 60's and 70's will know. Trust me it is well worth letting someone build it who has Lots of experience doing so and I don't mean Joe Blow that does all kinds of trannies at some random tranny shop. Ive been wrenching for a long time and will not even attempt to buld one myself... Hope this helps...
I built my own lol

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
Too

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,538 Posts

·
Registered
2006 tbss
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
500 at the flywheel give or take, Im a GM tech been working for GM since 99, I work at a GM dealer so we have all the tools & Ive rebuilt a few trannys I was a tranny tech but it doesn't pay like it used to so I do drivability & electrical. 4l60, 65 & 70's are easy to rebuild but the thing is we dont do performance rebuilds so this is new territory. So Im just looking for some info. Im not braging or any crap like that just wanted to chat with ppl who have advice & experience etc. My biggest question is the has anyone installed the sonnax carrier?
P.S thx db-guru

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
2,305 Posts
Im a long time technician my trans is not long for this world lol. Anyway I bought a new one & want to put what it needs to make it bulletproof to 500hp ish. So basically Id like a list of what you all have done. I also want to know if anyone has installed a Sonnax 2.84 Ratio Input Carrier Kit. I love the close ratio Idea because its better but don't know if I should, It ant cheap??? I know theres lots of after market tranys out there but being a tech Id rather do it myself (also get parts cheaper).
That 2.84 carrier kit sounds really trick. However, with 30"+ tires on these trucks it may be counter productive to getting it moving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts