Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just curious if anyone can chime in with experience with propane for heating house? I've always had natural gas but am looking at moving and the house we like has propane.

Looking online, can't seem to get a straight answer on which costs more due to the conversion rates and prices fluctuating. Did see a site with propane price data since 1990- present and it's gone form $1.80 to almost $4/gallon now.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
268 Posts
I have a two story house that I heat with propane gas! You can usually talk to a propane company an lock in a price per galon in the summer time an pay a level payment all year at that price! I work for my local natural gas company an in my opinion it's around the same price overall! I got mine locked in at $1.60 a gal!

·
PING-pong
TrailblazerSS
490 Posts
my uncle has a 5000sqft house that runs on propane and has to fill his take once a year it cost about $800 to fill it. he ONLY uses his propane for hot water heat and furnaces. He uses electric stoves. I think his tank is around 1000gal

·
Iam sofa king we todd did
tbss
1,145 Posts
If you like it go for it in my experiences with people that use propane it ends up being a wash most the time, but it all depends how much you cook, take long hot showers, laundry, and how warn you like the house in the winter.

I wouldn't let it stop you from buying a house.

L

·
0 Posts
We have a 500 gallon tank like most around here do, cost approximatley $760 to fill and will last us through the winter (Oct-March) here in Colorado. I believe it was $1.52 per gallon. We have a 3,000sqft home. The Propane runs the heat & heats the hot water for showers and laundry. We don't have a gas stove.

·
Banned
18,856 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies so far, I really appreciate it!

Most developments are nat gas but this particular house we love is in an area where they're all propane. The wife is freaked out so I'm trying to do my research and make a decision.

The 2nd issue is this town is 95% septic and well water, our previous homes have been city water/sewer. I'm not as concerned about these though.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
165 Posts
I have propane right now and recently had a hot water heater go bad and needed to be replaced. Go try to buy a new propane one from home depot or lowes. I dare you. They had 1, 1! in stock. Natural gas? 12 of them. I ended up going to a local plumbing suply store because they could at least offer me a propane HW heater that wasnt garbage quality. And as mentioned, the cost of natural gas is usually better. I think we're around $3/gal for propane right now in my area. balls....

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone else? Also, has anyone converted a house from propane to nat gas and about what would it cost?

Thanks again for the replies!

·
Just a noob
TrailblazerSS
6,206 Posts
Im in texas but everyone is on nat gas unless ur in a rual area. Then ur propane. So it may not be an option if the city hadnt ran lines out there yet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts